service cable in basement ceiling

homeboundSeptember 7, 2012

As a handyman I have been asked to re-drywall a bathroom ceiling after client had a service upgrade (permitted & inspected) in a finished basement.

The main service line enters the rear of the home (bathroom), but the panel is on the front of the building so the service line runs through the ceiling from back to front. Line enters bath (boxed in and safety-plated), then up to the ceiling. In that room, it was run below/across the joists parallel to a 2x nailer. This means that the service cable will run basically against the ceiling in this room. Am I supposed to throw up a red flag on this or plate the entire 5 foot length where it's low? Would it have been proper to run the service line through the joists instead (lots of other plumbing, gas, etc. in the ceiling)? I also noticed the service line touches ceiling drywall at one bend in the next room where the ceiling is already finished. Thoughts, please. Thanks much.

Meanwhile, the client is already calling back the electrician to assess this, though I wonder what they would do after it's complete, final inspected, etc.

Thanks much. This is in Arlington, VA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lbpod

In these parts, as long as there is 'disconnect' within
5 feet of where the power enters the building, you are
good to go. YMMV.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Wall-plate power for Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phone base
My current Panasonic cordless phone system has become...
turfserf
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™