Upgrade from 80 Amp circuit breaker to a 125 amp circuit breaker

andyz1958September 28, 2013

I would like to replace our 40 gal hot water heater with a tankless on demand water heater. Presently there is a main breaker in the panel of 80 amps. I need to replace my existing 30 amp hot water heater breaker with one that is 60 amp to handle the load from the tankless heater. ( of course I will wire with 6-2 AWG as called for.)
I don't think the 80 amp breaker will handle this. I wonder if I replaced it with a 100 amp breaker will this handle the load. Are there any considerations to this thought.
We live in a trailer home and the electricity comes to us underground from a electric meter that is mounted with three other meters. Electric goes from pole underground to meter then to us. I looked at a small panel under the meter and it has a 70amp breaker. I have I forgotten any info?

This post was edited by andyz1958 on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 11:09

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petey_racer

There is NO WAY you can make this work.

You have a 70A feeder and you need a 125A breaker for the water heater alone. I think this question is self answering.

A whole house insta-hot is not something anyone is going to put in a trailer without MAJOR rewiring of the service.

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 2:30PM
pharkus

You definitely can't just randomly replace the 80A breaker with a larger one.

Even if you did, you'd be limited by the 70A breaker outside... Don't even think about replacing that.

60A (what the water heater needs) is less than 70A (what you have), but you'd end up with some situation where you can use your hot water ONLY if you turn off everything else in your house. Do you want that?

Basically, forget it. You'd need a service upgrade for this to ever work in a reasonable way.

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 1:18PM
ionized_gw

Many people run into this kind of problem when considering an on-demand water heater. The service is often not big enough for gas or electric.

Have you done the calculations to show the costs for simply replacing the tank and buying the tankless? It might not pay off over the equipment lifetime even if you did not have to do major service upgrades. Doing the calculations might make you feel better.

If you are in a hot climate, a heat pump water heater might make sense.

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 1:24PM
More Discussions
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
CharlesInVT
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™