Shorted Box with Multimeter
Just as I was getting more confident in my electrical ability I took two steps backwards this morning.
I wanted to test an outlet ( I didnt remove it and was doing it while mounted in the box) I placed my red probe on the hot screw and a few moments laters sparks flew and breaker tripped.
I came in contact with the side of the box. I assume thats a ground fault (or was this a dead short?). I arc welded a small nick in the box and some black appeared on the box and the wall next to it. My red test probe also has a small melted spot on the metal.
I then reset the GE breaker (it was in the halfway position between off and on I think, wasnt in the fully 'off' position).
WIth the power off I replaced the outlet that was charred a bit at the brass screw. Of the wiring I saw in the box I did not see any melted insultation. Turned back on and everything seems OK but I am concerned about what happened.
Do you think I damaged the circuit breaker or the wiring because of this?? WIth sparks flying and charring do you think I have fire hazard now in the wall??