smoke/co detector goes on when turn on TV

dkeelSeptember 5, 2012

I have a First Alert SC05 battery operated smoke/co detector that comes on whenever I turn on one of my TV sets. I have two TV sets but only one activates the alarm. I have pluged the "guilty" TV into different outlets but still activates the alarm for both smoke and CO when turned on with either the TV power on button or the clicker. ????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yosemitebill

Sounds like you must have one of the First Alert detectors with the IR remote control test/silence feature. You simply aim any IR remote towards it, press any button, and it works like the test button on the unit itself.

They can be overly sensitive and are sometimes triggered by the remote when it is not even pointed at them. The instructions even tell you how to disable this feature when this is the case. Typically, you open the battery compartment so the battery is disconnected, press and hold the test button, close the battery compartment and then release the test button.

You did mention that this occurs even if you use the power button on the television itself - plasma displays, and also some LCD televisions with fluorescent backlighting, can generate quite a bit of IR which can be "seen" by the detector and trigger the test function.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 1:27PM
alan_s_thefirst

Weird. Following what Yosemite Bill said, try covering the IR receptor on the TV and see if it still happens, or disable it, as he said.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 2:43AM
yosemitebill

Alan, it is the IR detector on the carbon monoxide detector which is being falsely triggered. Covering up the one on the the television will not affect anything.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 11:01PM
Ron Natalie

The SC05 appears to have a regular test/snooze alarm button. The SC07 has the IR test feature. The SC07 is also distinquished in that it talks rather than merely beeping.

Here is a link that might be useful: SC07 manual

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 6:57AM
lee676

Wow, I've had this same problem with my BRK/First Alert smoke detector and never knew that pushing the test button whilst installing the battery would shut that "feature" off. I can tell you that covering the smoke detector's IR sensor with electrical tape did NOT stop the tv remote from setting off the alarm.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 6:56AM
groundrod

you have to make the detector a little tinfoil hat.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 11:55PM
More Discussions
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
bicyclegirl1
Want to save shower recessed light
I have 2 matching recessed lights in my bathroom. One...
africanboy
Troubleshooting Kohler 12RES Problem
I have a Kohler 12RES generator with an RDT 100 Amp...
sniffdog
Need to Understand GFCI Requirements.
I posted this in the remodeling section, but I think...
homechef59
Sponsored Products
Traverse Roman Bronze 52-Inch Ceiling Fan
$256.00 | Bellacor
Antique Black Easton Media Stand
Cost Plus World Market
Dark Wood 71" Sinatra TV Stand with Storage
Zuri Furniture
Furniture of America Grove Black 60-inch 3-drawer TV Entertainment Cabinet
Overstock.com
Star Wars Return of the Jedi Mini FilmCells™ Framed Wall Art
$54.99 | zulily