Portable Generator Wattage Calculation

santim_paSeptember 6, 2011

I would have a basement aquarium if not for my sump pump. Recent years, the power has been going out a lot more often... and I'd feel better with a port. gen. for the sump pump and for two side by side refrigerators.

The sump pump is a 1/3 hp pedestal style. The tag on it shows 3.5amp 115volts. Am I correct in calculating it to need approx. 1200 watts surge to start it and approx. 400 to run it? Add in two full size side by side refrigerator/freezers and a few 60 watt light bulbs.

I'm looking at the Honda EU6500is inverter generator. Variable automatic throttle, 5500 watts with 6500 max. Is that big enough to handle the above?

I know it is expensive, but if it has to run a long time and last a long time I think it is a good investment. The next step down for the Honda inverter generator is a 3000 watt... I think that is too small??

A transfer switch will be needed. Is that a crazy expensive item to have an electrician install, and is there one style better than another?

Thanks for any help. I know there is alot of info available on the web, but it is sort of "general" info. I was trying to get an answer using the numbers I'll be dealing with.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Based on your post, the 5500 watts will be completely adequate and will also allow for operation of your computer, television and ordinary lighting in the house.

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 7:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wayne440

The Honda unit is a good one with one small caveat. If you do not use the ecomomy throttle feature, it will respond better to the starting of your pump. The engine speed will still slow with lighter loading, just not as much.

I have several in service, they work well as long as you use fresh, clean gasoline and run it dry before extended storage. FYI-there was a recall on some earlier units for a fuel leak issue.

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 8:12AM
More Discussions
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™