Help with front door options

aloopylifeAugust 27, 2014

Hi all, We're moving to our new place soon and one of the things I really want to change is the front door. Currently it's white and the style doesn't really suit my taste. When the blinds are up it reminds me of jail bars.

Anyway, what style do you all think would best suit this style of home? I'm leaning towards black with maybe a center arch or just the op quarter of the door having some glass to let light in (not too familiar with the correct terms, sorry!) in a Craftsman style design. Would that clash too much?

Also, is fiberglass a good option for West Texas?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joaniepoanie

I think you have enough arches so I would not get an arched door. And with all the brick, I would keep it simple more in the traditional vein as opposed to Craftsman since your house is not Craftsman. Color-wise....maybe a charcoal gray to tie in with the roof....green would also look pretty against the brick.

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 7:55AM
tibbrix

From that pic, your house has an antebellum look to it, although it is brick. Black always looks great with brick and would give your house an elegant, sophisticated look, IMO.

I'd also paint the outside window grids and trim black. Keep brass kick plates on the new door. And I hope it's okay for me to say this, but I'd change out that lamp for a nicer style, and one in black iron.

I'm also curious as to why the right hedge is so tall and the left so short. That looks odd to me.

I absolutely love this style of door (pic).

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 8:27AM
Holly- Kay

Your home is beautiful. I agree that you should stick with a traditional style door. Black will add elegance to your home so I would opt for a black door with brass kick plates as Tib suggested..

I like the idea of a black iron light also. I don't think the style you have is bad it just doesn't do anything for a really lovely entry.

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 9:23AM
tibbrix

I think something like this would look great in your portico. this is an indoor/outdoor lantern.

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 9:36AM
awm03

With your porch guarding against strong sun, I'd think fiberglass would be fine. Fiberglass fades in strong sun.

Since your house is formal in style (French?) I'd go mahogany, ornate glass, repeat the soft arch element for style consistency, and change the hanging light to something black, formal, & ornate too. Elegant & dramatic.

Beautiful house!

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 9:40AM
tibbrix

awm, can you do a mockup with that door you found, the chandy I found, and painting the window grids and trim black?

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 9:43AM
Holly- Kay

AWM, I love the door and especially the lantern. It's gorgeous! I think that door painted black would look stunning but it works in wood tones also.

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 9:56AM
awm03

Here, Tib.

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 10:13AM
awm03

Painting the gutter a soft gray, one keyed off the roof color, looks nice too:

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 11:06AM
tibbrix

Yes! I really like the black window grids and trim, esp. with Awm's door with the black design. Also really like the chandy.

Really like Awm's idea of painting the top trim gray.

I'd also look into seeing if two spotlights can be put in the ceiling of the two sections of the portico, put on a dimmer, so that you can highlight the entire portico at night, brightly if you're having a party, dimly in general and so the pendant/chandy don't get lost.

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 11:13AM
aloopylife

You guys are amazing! What a difference a few changes make, eh? Definitely we also plan to change out the light fixture, and my original plan was just to do a similar version to the existing one except in black. I like both the chandelier version and the black iron one so it just depends on which i find first, I guess. :)

I love the door choice and am off to do more research. I didn't even notice the hedges were uneven! Now that you've pointed it out, of course it's all I can see. :) I will go back to the house later today to take a better picture in brighter light.

My only concern about the door choice suggested it that our style is not really very formal or traditional. It's definitely gorgeous and I'm awfully tempted, but will go look online to see what other options there might be that still fits the house while not being so "grand"?

Thanks for all your help! Any more door style suggestions would be great!

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 1:58PM
tibbrix

How about these, again like the ones in the first pic I put up. They are very common on brick brownstones and are beautiful doors. They look great plain or with curtains hung on the inside of them.

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 2:08PM
awm03

Here's a more rustic look:

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 3:02PM
aloopylife

awm -- Can you let me know where i can find that style of door? In black? Thanks!

tibbrix - those are really nice, as well. I'm mainly looking on lowe's and home depot as I'm trying to use a source that's easily available and i don't seem to see anything similar. Any tips? Thanks!

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 3:05PM
tibbrix

I think the front door needs windows.

Here you go. From Pella, Architectural Series. It's Fiberglass. And you can get clear glass for the windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pella Doors

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 3:49PM
awm03

Loopy, I'm not seeing those doors in stock right now, but I haven't spent that much time searching. If you like them, you might want to contact a local millwork company to see how much they'd charge to make them.

Here's Tibbrix's suggestion, which is a stock door. Very pretty.

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 4:07PM
Holly- Kay

Pella makes a really beautiful door that has glass with a diamond grid design. The grid is an iron grey and looks super. it's a more laid back choice . I do think though your house has a grand look to it so why not play off of it?

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 4:07PM
tibbrix

The pella's look really nice! And you can get them in plain glass,, which would be my choice. Nice brass kick plates and either brass or iron hardwareâ¦really handsome.

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 4:22PM
awm03

Here are some very nice pre-hung stock doors from a company in Florida. They ship. They have arched doors pre-hung in a square frame (I'm convinced the arch doors look better on your house). Pricey, but not outrageously so. Something you could save up for, if you're patient and don't mind waiting. They're wood doors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Doors by Design

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 8:02PM
More Discussions
Carpet only in the closet?
Would you carpet a closet when you've got hardwood...
amberm145
If I have two large rugs in a room how different should they be?
In the living room, I already have one 9 x 13 rug and...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
Can we talk about throw pillows?
I'm puzzled about throw pillows on sofas, loveseats...
pocopson
Best glass shower doors
Can someone recommend a good quality brand of glass...
sis2two
Question for Deee and anyone with honed black granite
I was all set to put honed granite on my island, but...
grapeleaves
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™