Service panel cable

Hacksaw111111September 27, 2012

Hi, Can you tell me if this cable is acceptable to use on a 200A box?

Are the conductors size 2 and the ground size 4 Not sure how to read the jacket)?

Currently it is hooked up to a 100A box that I am going to upgrade. In upstate NY, NYSEG.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

No. For a 200 amp service you
need 4/0 aluminum.

    Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 9:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks, what is the cable above? not sure how to read it.

I'm going to be switching from a 100A box to 2 200A boxes (duplex house). What size will the service drop from the roof down to the 2 meter socket need to be?

I'm looking at the Milbank U1252-r-kkrge. I would run the 4/0 al to the 2 separate panels from new sockets...sound right?

    Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 12:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

You'll have to ask your local guys (probably the power company) what the requirements for their side of the meter. The NEC doesn't adjust that.

Yes, it appears to have 2 2AWG conductors (for the hots) and a 4 AWG (for ground).

    Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 3:28PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
Goodbye Phone Jack: what to do with wires?
We want to remove this phone jack. It's in a useless...
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
Can you make a splice inside one of these?
The reason I ask is my neighbor's house was destroyed...
Sponsored Products
Baroque Pool 12-Piece Dining Set
$19.99 | zulily
Eclipse Glass Pitcher
Classic Hostess
Versailles New Antique Silver One-Light Clear Heritage Handcut Crystal Wall Scon
$449.00 | Bellacor
Quantum Stainless Steel 14-Light Golden Shadow Swarovski Elements Pendant Light,
Murano Glass Bowl Luxury Vanity Vessel | Traditional Italian Wash Basin
La Scala Antique Silver 15-Light Clear Heritage Handcut Crystal Chandelier, 28W
Jimmy Rectangular Black Vessel Sink
Refurbished No Fear Pinball Machine
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™