Ground Wire in Every Conduit?

danvirsseAugust 22, 2011

We are in the process of rough wiring our 180 yr old home. At the suggestion of our Electrical Contractor, we will be installing 2 large juction boxes (1 in the attic and 1 in the basement) and running each 20Amp circuit to one of these 2 boxes. There will then be PVC conduit with THHN/THWN running from the Juction boxes to the Panel. Of course, the junction boxes will be sized appropriately for the number of conductors housed. Our question is if 2 conduits run from a junction box to the panel due to space constraints and allowable fill capacities, do we need a ground in each conduit or just 1 of the conduits?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

You must run a ground in the same conduit as the rest of the circuit conductors.

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 6:59AM
brickeyee

"There will then be PVC conduit with THHN/THWN running from the Juction boxes to the Panel. "

You are likely to encounter conductor derating requirements for the large number of current carrying conductors in the home run conduits.

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 9:56AM
Billl

Is there a reason you aren't just putting subpanels in the basement and the second story? Seems a lot easier to pull 1 line than a bunch. It also would make future expansion a lot easier.

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 10:21PM
danvirsse

Bill - Thanks for the input. I'm not sure why the contractor didn't suggest the subpanels, but I'll ask him. They seem like a good idea, especially since we're going to have to run multiple conduits from each junction box to the panel due to the space constraints and derating.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 4:03PM
ionized_gw

Can't put a panel in the attic unless there are permanent stairs leading to it. there may not be enough space in the basement location to fit a panel with clearance requirements what they are.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 5:12PM
danvirsse

I just met with the electrical contractor again tonight and, ionized, you are exactly right. No space in the basement with the appropriate clearances. Ditto the 2nd floor, since it a cape cod style. Guess we're going to be staying with the junction boxes.
Thanks to everyone.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 8:17PM
bus_driver

Hallway wall on the second floor? The folks who wrote the NEC are less concerned about appearance than about their approach to safety.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 9:19PM
Ron Natalie

Why not cable? Is conduit specifically required in your area?

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 7:18AM
More Discussions
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™