Wiring wall oven

doc_scottAugust 14, 2011

I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and we are replacing a combo wall oven/ micro unit with a new wall oven/ micro that connects separately. The existing circuit that supplied the old setup was on a 50 amp breaker with 10/3 or 8/3 stranded wire. Way more that the new wall oven needs. Can I bump the breaker down to a 30 amp and use the existing wire? or do I also have to reuduce wire size?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

There's never a problem with having over-sized wire. What does the installation booklet specify for wiring: minimum gauge, number of wires, and breaker amperage?

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 2:59AM
doc_scott

The installation manual was really not alot of help. The plate on the range did state the Kw rating was about 3.8KW and recommended a 20 amp circuit. The wiring scheme for existing will work with 10/3. Should I bump my breaker from 50 amp to a 30 amp??

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 11:12AM
kurto

I would be concerned if the existing 50A breaker was serviced by 10 gauge wires, although I suppose that's a moot point. If it's 10 gauge wire, definitely reduce the breaker to 30A or less. If the device "recommends" a 20A circuit, then that's what you should do. The 10 gauge wires can service the 20A circuit without issue.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 10:24AM
doc_scott

My bad the wire is 8/3 with a 50 amp circuit breaker. My last question is the appliance Kw rating chart had a different breakdown depending on what voltage either 240 or 208v not sure what my house has. I live in a newer house (97) in a newer sub in florida.... I am assuming its 240v????

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 4:02PM
ionized_gw

208 is typical only in commercial/industrial 3-phase situations. What is the configuration of your main breakers, 2 or 3?

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 8:06PM
kurto

It's almost certain that you have 240V, single phase service, given your description of a house built in 1997. Use the higher KW ratings for the appliance (provided for the 240V service).

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 8:43AM
tl45

is the micro 220 or 120? if 120 do you have a dedicated circuit?

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 7:04PM
llaatt22

208v 2 phase is very uncommon in homes outside of older mixed commercial/residential areas except for highrise buildings with commercial style elevators.

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 12:33AM
More Discussions
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™