motion detecting light or Dusk/Dawn insert

andrelaplume2August 17, 2012

I am the guy whose cfl, after a year, apparently did not get along with a 20 year old timer and blew up my fixture, bulb and timer.

So I went out to pick up a pair of new motion detecting lamps....might as well replace the the garage that blew up and the front door. I was suprised how expensive they were for what apparently seams made 1/10th as well as my 20 year old fixture. (btw, how hard would it be to rewire a new base into my old fixture...do they sell a kit?)

Thats when I saw this little sucker that screws into the fixture's base. Then you put your bulb (cfl or regular it says) in it. Then there are a few buttons you hit and the sucker is suppose to turn the light on at dusk for 5, 8 or 10 hours. Its $10 at Lowes.

What do you guys think of these? I'd sort of prefer my light come on at dusk for about 5 hours...thats how my timer was set. I could then by a regular non motion fixture and use this thing.

Any trouble with something like this. It says it will work with cfls?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

It is to be noted that these devices do not last forever. So periodic replacement probably will be necessary.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 4:55PM
andrelaplume2

how long do the motion lights last...any longer?

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 9:16PM
ionized_gw

I think that I have the device that you wrote about. I tried it outside and it seemed to work well enough. I did not think it would work well indoors and I think that is correct too. (You would have to put a lamp very near a window with no curtains or shades for it to work.)

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 12:15PM
More Discussions
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
Lights Flickering...
We paid an electrician to put in a ceiling light in...
regina_phalange
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™