Does this front door go with my house?

EricWwwAugust 15, 2012

I have the opportunity to buy this door at a very good price. It's fiberglass and has sidelights (obviously). Wonder if it's apppropriate for my obviously older house. I posted this house a while ago, been busy on other projects haven't opened up the entry way yet.

I like the door design, but also want to check with others as this is likely the last door this house will have for a very long time :)

The house (these are older pictures but you can see what the existing wood door and side lights look like. I plan on opening up the siding cladded entryway. The existing door is warped pretty bad and the side lights are single pane non tempered glass. I tried to straighten and refinish it but it didn't do so well :(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
golddust

I love the existing sidelights. Can you just get a new door that compliments the sidelights?

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 11:24PM
jakabedy

I really don't like that door for your house. Actually, I really don't like that door at all. I know there are a lot of these doors with caned glass inserts in various shapes, but I just don't know where I would ever use one.

I, too, like the sidelights. have you considered a traditional 6-panel door? or if you're wanting more light, maybe a 6-panel with glass panes in the top two, or in all six panels?

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 11:57PM
blfenton

I like your current sidelights. The door that you posted reminds me of an 80's subdivision.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 12:26AM
palimpsest

The house style is too modern for that style of door.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 1:53AM
anele_gw

I would say no, it does not go. It does not relate to the style of your house in any way.

I would look for something more like what you currently have-- straight lines w/o a lot of flourishes.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 9:38AM
mtnrdredux_gw

Another resounding no, sorry.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 9:44AM
SunnyCottage

I like your current sidelights. The door that you posted reminds me of an 80's subdivision.

My thoughts exactly. I would keep searching for something with very simple lines, as anele suggests.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 10:04AM
EricWww

Alright I'm glad I asked. I actually started refinishing the existing sidelights. There's some good looking wood under that ugly yellow paint. I plan on spar polyurethaning it and exposing the nice wood grain.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 10:37AM
tinker_2006

another no.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 10:39AM
cyn427

Good decision, Eric. I wish our ranch had your sidelights! Very nice.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 11:17AM
More Discussions
House of Cards - Table Lamps
Not wanting to hijack Ann's thread (Perception), I'm...
maddielee
Is Restoration Hardware bedding worth it?
I've been searching for the perfect white quilt for...
artydecor
HGTV Fixer Upper show
I have been reading in blog land about HGTV's new show...
ratherbesewing
Are cordless roller shades practical with a large picture window?
Hi all! I plan to replace my windows and doors this...
valpogal47
Dining Room Lighting - Scale
I am in the process of remodeling my new town home....
Alex Brummitt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™