old 240 v welder 3 wire plug - outlet is a 4 wire

ross_2010August 7, 2010

I recently purchased an old 200 amp mig welder which requires a 240v supply. I have an existing 240v outlet that was for my range (before i got a gas range). Since the wall that outlet is on shares a wall with the garage, I will basically turn the thing around and use it for the welder. However, the outlet is wired with 4 wires and the welder only has three. I have read numerous thoughts on the conversion and many of them oppose one another. I would like to get a difinitive, and safe answer for how to set up the wiring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

The welder most likely has the two hots wires and a ground. The range receptacle has two hot wires, a ground, and a neutral. You just don't connect anything to the neutral, it doesn't need or care about it.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 8:16PM
ross_2010

thank you Ronnatalie. Jist to be clear - the 4 wire is black(hot), black/red(hot), grey(neutral), and bare(ground) correct?

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 8:27PM
Ron Natalie

Yes, sounds rihgt. Green or bare is always ground. White or gray is always neutral. Other colors are fare games for the hots (black, red, blue, ...).

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 7:48AM
ross_2010

I bought a 50 amp 4 wire plug to match the outlet and wired the 3 wires the welder had, and left the neutral post empty just like you said... works perfectly! Thanks for the help!

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 10:02PM
hogpower

I am making an extension cord for my generator. I want to wire it for 240. Can I use a 12/3 cord and wire a jumper to the second hot leg??. Please advise..thanks for your time.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 2:55PM
Ron Natalie

You'll have to explain yourself more, but I suspect the answer is no. And frankly, this has nothing whatsoever to do with the thread that you posted it in. It would be better if you started your own.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 3:39PM
More Discussions
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™