Honda Ex1000 generator - governor adjustment

sambertAugust 20, 2010

I have a Honda EX1000 which starts well, but the output voltage drops if any load is applied.

This is not critical in most cases, but as I wish to charge my RV batteries with a big charger, I want to have at least 50% of the 1000 watts ( being 40 amp x 12 Volt max) but even at 25% load, the voltage drops below 100 v so my charger does not work.

There is a screw that adjusts the speed I think, and if I screw manually to get the 110 v with some load, then I can get 15 amp plus charging, all is well, BUT when I disconnect the load (charger)the voltage climbs up very fast, past 130 volts. Not ideal, as I need to keep a constant eye on what voltage is output, depending on the load, and adjust the screw accordingly.

I suspect the governor is not working well.

Would anyone know where to get a repairs manual ?

Do you think it is a question or maintenance and adjustment, OR would I have to replace the governor (or is the problem elsewhere)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hrajotte

It seems you have more of a small engine question than an electrical wiring question.
You should be able to get a manual through a Google search, or from a Honda dealer. You can also check with a place that repairs small engines (lawn mowers, snowblowers, etc.) They ought to be able to help you.

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 9:07AM
kalining

You have a bad voltage regulator

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 11:24AM
Frank68

my governor is not working,it will not reb up when you push on the governor leaver it will not do anything can you tell me any thing about this,thank you

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™