Timer for Bathroom Heater

dhustonAugust 12, 2011

I am looking for a timer to control a bathroom fan/heater.

The heater I am looking at buying is a panasonic whisperwarm and it shows the heater is 1500W. The timer I would like to use is a Lutron Maestro but it says it only rated for 600w incandescent. Can I use this timer for the heater or should I use something else. I really want to stay away from a mechanical timer just for cosmetic reasons. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"Can I use this timer for the heater or should I use something else. "

Keep looking.

The wiring and contacts in this timer are not adequate for 1500 W (and when the heater first turns on it will pull even more than its rated power for a few seconds to minuts).

Overloaded contact fail in short order by (most often) welding themselve on all the time.

Look for something around 2,500 W.

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 8:18PM
chrisk327

what enigma posted looks good for your application. I actually have that fan, and the Maestro timer that you posted. Only difference is I have the timer hooked up to the exhaust fan which has a much much lower draw and a standard switch for the heating element.

I have to say the Maestro timer is really great for this application, althoguh I do know someone with the Leviton and is happy as well.

from a use perspective, I'm not sure I see the need or desire to have the fan on a timer. I would normally turn the heater off when i leave, if I had it on, where the exhaust fan portion I'd want to have on for a period of time after I left in order to clear out the steam.

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 10:23AM
ionized_gw

"...would normally turn the heater off when i leave, if I had it on..."

My wife thinks switches are for turning things on.

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 1:44PM
tl45

"Can I use this timer for the heater"
absolutely not, and also have you checked the existing loads on that circuit? Not just the switched circuit for the fan, but the enitre circuit on that breaker?

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 10:14AM
Ron Natalie

Intermatic makes a electronic wall-switch timer that has a mechanical switch in it that should work fine. I've got one in my basement to turn on all my wife's grow lights (exotic plants, not drugs).

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 10:46AM
More Discussions
Two fans on same circuit in different rooms, can't get wiring right
So here's the situation. I have two ceiling fan/lights...
jenfarino
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
baker1mich
Garage florescent light flickering - bulb or fixture problem?
I replaced the GE F40 RES garage lights with a GE F40...
bibbus 7b
Disposer Power Cord
I recently bought a GE disposal online. The model is...
africanboy
2 Lights Out on 4 Light Fixture
I was sitting at my dining room table, heard a tiny...
Cassandra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™