does nec address paint/popcorn inside j-boxes?

fixizinAugust 19, 2011

Apparently, for the big Fortune 500 sleazebag tract-shack developers, having their undocumented faux-electricians take 3 seconds to pop one of those plastic rough-out covers on their freshly installed and wired ceiling boxes, makes the difference between their stock price soaring or crashing. :rolleyes:

Thus I've seen high levels of spray paint--and even that foam textured ceiling crap--coating the inside of j-boxes, and also every conductor, connector and wire-nut in that box. Best practices--NOT.

Seems like there's potential fire and wire-ID issues... what sayeth the NEC?

Just wondering, thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

The NEC does not address the issue. And if it did, how would the electrical inspector force the issue with drywall and painting contractors? While it may not be fair play, the electrician must protect himself/herself in these instances. There are companies that make foam inserts for one-time use that quickly stuff into the box and just as quickly pull out for disposal. Since you are the property owner, you have some leverage on these contractors. Supervise their work.

And there are protectors made of metal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 6:16PM
fixizin

Yowza... I think I smell "lobbying" by the Duh Big Sleazy NAHB members.

... how would the electrical inspector force the issue with drywall and painting contractors? While it may not be fair play, the electrician must protect himself/herself in these instances.

Exactly. If sparky installs listed protective cover, his work (and his butt) are "covered". The plastic ones I've seen just SNAP in place, and they seem to be made of that "oily" kind of plastic (polypro?) that would probably shed any buildup of paint/popcorn with a bit of flexing, making them very reusable.

I mean, doesn't this seem like an obvious topic for NFPA to lab test and incorporate into NEC? Down here in slacker-land, this "boxfill you can't calculate" is really out of control. =:O

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 6:35PM
bus_driver

I do not mean protect as in regulatory measures, I mean protect from the other trades that care only about their own work and do not hesitate to make the work of others more difficult. Wasn't that your initial emphasis?

Here is a link that might be useful: read this

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 8:18AM
enigma_2

The NEC is specific and does NOT permit this.
Article 110.12(B) reads: "Internal parts of electrical equipment, including busbars, wiring terminals, insulators, and other surfaces shall not be damaged or contaminated by foreign materials such as paint, plaster, cleaners, abrasives, or other corrosive residues."
It's a clear viloation, and as an inspector I would deviate this practice and order them to be cleaned out.

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 9:57PM
bus_driver

110.12 does not specifically address wall and ceiling boxes. Panel manufacturers often have a portion of the carton marked to be cut and used to shield the internals from the enumerated material. Inspectors have been known to require panel replacement in some cases.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 6:28AM
bus_driver

Further on NEC 110.12(B) cited in part by enigma 2, the equipment listed definitely could be harmed and even rendered useless and/or dangerous by the factors mentioned. But wall and ceiling boxes are not "equipment" in the sense of 110.12(B).
How close I have come to assaulting, or being assaulted by,
others working on the site! It can get heated. We once shut off the temporary power for a plastering crew on a commercial project because of a dispute. They yielded.
On volunteer projects, well-meaning idiots can really screw up the wiring job.
"Daddy, I peeled all the bananas for your lunch next week". Good intentions do not always result in good ouitcomes.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 5:13PM
enigma_2

I always required any type of electrical equipment to be cleaned out when I found this during an inspection.

Although NEC 110.12(B) states "equipment", I've always fallen back on the definition of equipment "A general term, including material, fittings, devices, appliances, luminaries, apparatus, machinery, and the like used as part of, or in connection to, an electrical installation."

To me, this means everything, including boxes, and no professional should mess up the work of other trades out of ignorance; IMHO.

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 5:10PM
More Discussions
Garage florescent light flickering - bulb or fixture problem?
I replaced the GE F40 RES garage lights with a GE F40...
bibbus 7b
Two fans on same circuit in different rooms, can't get wiring right
So here's the situation. I have two ceiling fan/lights...
jenfarino
Can I electrify battery-operated lights?
Hi all. Is there a way to electrify a battery operated...
eam44
Need to Understand GFCI Requirements.
I posted this in the remodeling section, but I think...
homechef59
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
bicyclegirl1
Sponsored Products
Burnt Orange Metallic 30" High Oval Twist Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
32 x 32 Stone shower base Mongolia black basalt - CORAL BLACK
Living'ROC
Artemide | LED Net Line 66 Ceiling Light
YLighting
Nail Button Bed
Grandin Road
Three Drawer Accent Cabinet
Overstock.com