Telephone jack removal

pamccrcAugust 14, 2014

We have DSL internet service through Frontier. We are remodeling our kitchen and removed a phone jack just by cutting the wires. I was just going to stuff it in the wall and tile over it but now our internet does not work. We have the modem connected to another jack in the house with a wireless router. We can connect to wireless router just fine but are not connecting to the internet. Does cutting those wires in a different room some how break the connection to the whole thing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

"Does cutting those wires in a different room some how break the connection to the whole thing?" In your case, obviously it did.

It depends on how the jacks are wired. If they are "daisy chained" ... with one wire running from the phone company's input to a series of phone jacks throughout the house, as happens when people decide to add a few jacks and just hook onto the old one, or the original installer decided that chaining was a good way to do it, any jacks that are after the cut will go dead.

Remove the jack you don't want and twist the cut wires together, matching colors. If your internet connection works, that was the problem.

It's a bad idea to have a patched wire in the wall because the patches have a way of going bad. Run new exterior grade phone wire from the phone company's terminator box (where the wires reach the house) to a convenient spot for the DSL box.

Disconnect any wires to jacks you aren't using at the terminator box - they can affect your DSL quality because of ... let's just call it complicated.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 12:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saltidawg

Just out of curiosity, do the other phone jacks in the house work?

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:11PM
More Discussions
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™