Light Bulbs keep burning out

tkstockAugust 9, 2014

I have a fairly recent install of a pendant light fixture in my kitchen (two). One of the two fixtures has an issue where the bulbs keep burning out - within a couple days to a couple of weeks.

I saw a suggestion where you can pull the tab out at the bottom of the socket so that it makes better contact with the bulb at the base. I did this, and was careful not to over-tighten the bulb.

I'm still having the issue. I've posted a close-up of the bottom of the blub - does the spot on the bottom appear to be from arcing? In this most-recent burn-out (first once since I pulled the tab out), the bulb had a white film on the interior - and the filament seemed intact - but there was a clear "broken piece" sound coming from the bulb as I lightly shook it.

I will post a picture of the socket too in a reply.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

This post was edited by tkstock on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 11:01

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tkstock

Here's a picture of the socket. The tab is about 1/8" - 1/4" from the ceramic - so it's not flat against it.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 10:58AM
bus_driver

Vibration and too-high voltage are enemies of incandescent lamps.
If the lamp lights properly, leave the center contact alone. It is not the cause of the problem.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 1:59PM
randy427

Heat is the other nemesis of light bulbs. If these are high-hat fixtures, CFLs or reflector bulbs may help to reduce the trapped heat.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 10:52PM
tkstock

Thanks for the responses! bus_driver, How can a fixture be wired for other than the standard 110 V? It isn't vibration - this is a stationary fixture just like the one beside it.

randy, I have two fixtures - exactly the same- the other one is fine. I don't think it's a heat problem, otherwise they'd both have it.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 9:35AM
More Discussions
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™