Light Bulbs keep burning out

tkstockAugust 9, 2014

I have a fairly recent install of a pendant light fixture in my kitchen (two). One of the two fixtures has an issue where the bulbs keep burning out - within a couple days to a couple of weeks.

I saw a suggestion where you can pull the tab out at the bottom of the socket so that it makes better contact with the bulb at the base. I did this, and was careful not to over-tighten the bulb.

I'm still having the issue. I've posted a close-up of the bottom of the blub - does the spot on the bottom appear to be from arcing? In this most-recent burn-out (first once since I pulled the tab out), the bulb had a white film on the interior - and the filament seemed intact - but there was a clear "broken piece" sound coming from the bulb as I lightly shook it.

I will post a picture of the socket too in a reply.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

This post was edited by tkstock on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 11:01

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tkstock

Here's a picture of the socket. The tab is about 1/8" - 1/4" from the ceramic - so it's not flat against it.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 10:58AM
bus_driver

Vibration and too-high voltage are enemies of incandescent lamps.
If the lamp lights properly, leave the center contact alone. It is not the cause of the problem.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 1:59PM
randy427

Heat is the other nemesis of light bulbs. If these are high-hat fixtures, CFLs or reflector bulbs may help to reduce the trapped heat.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 10:52PM
tkstock

Thanks for the responses! bus_driver, How can a fixture be wired for other than the standard 110 V? It isn't vibration - this is a stationary fixture just like the one beside it.

randy, I have two fixtures - exactly the same- the other one is fine. I don't think it's a heat problem, otherwise they'd both have it.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 9:35AM
More Discussions
Wireless light switch for switched outlet?
So we have no overhead lighting in any of our bedrooms,...
vikingshelmut
Outdoor subpanel as AC disconnect
Can we use an outdoor subpanel as an AC disconnect?...
ylmzm
Badly done multi-wire circuits (previous owner strikes again..)
I bought a 1940-ish house last year, for which the...
quahog
Electrical Problem.
My mom's house has a problem with the lights temporarily...
Debra Johnson
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™