question regarding flex for fluorescent fixture

JasmarAugust 15, 2010

Installing a new fluorescent fixture in my garage and want to place it a few feet from where the old one was.

The original was placed over the junction box in the ceiling. It would be difficult to move the box in the ceiling so I am hoping to do either of the following:

first choice - install a plate over the box and install flex type cable through it using the correct clamps on both ends. I believe I would need to run a ground as well as bond the metallic flex (can I use plastic flex conduit?). Problem is that the ceiling box is plastic so I do not see the means to properly bond the metallic flex. It would be about 16-18 inches of flex if that matters.

second choice - change the box out and install an outlet in it and then install a standard three prong cord onto the fluorescent fixture and just plug it in. Would this be appropriate? I have fluorescent fixtures that came corded that are installed in this manner in my shop so don't see why it would not work.



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"Problem is that the ceiling box is plastic so I do not see the means to properly bond the metallic flex."

Drill and tap the metal cover plate and attach a ground wire to it.

You will likely have to pigtail the ground if you are using MC cable with a grounding wire.

AC cable does not have a ground conductor but uses the armor.

Be sure to use the correct cable clamp.

    Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 1:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I could be off here but couldn't you use NM-B (aka Romex) for your run? Use a cover plate with a hole or use a blank and drill the appropriate hole and use an NM clamp. Make up your connection in the plastic box. You also need to secure the NM within 12" of either termination.

If local code requires metal flex, then do as brickeyee described.

    Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 7:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The quick and dirty answer is to buy shoplight fixtures with attached cord and plug. Fit receptacles to the existing boxes and just plug them in.

I may be slipping a cog in memory, but I seem to remember seeing fluorescent fixtures that were rated for either permanent installation or cord and plug connection. You might check with the manufacturer of yours.

    Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 5:48PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Can I electrify battery-operated lights?
Hi all. Is there a way to electrify a battery operated...
Dryer power cord next to vent
My contractor is enlarging the dryer vent hole in the...
Inspection Report
Had a gorgeous 1909 house inspected yesterday and don't...
Garage florescent light flickering - bulb or fixture problem?
I replaced the GE F40 RES garage lights with a GE F40...
bibbus 7b
Goodbye Phone Jack: what to do with wires?
We want to remove this phone jack. It's in a useless...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™