Lighting for Stained Glass Picture

ribidibiDecember 5, 2009

My late father-in-law made a gorgeous stained that picture that came to us. My husband and I love it. It is framed. I would like to hand it on my dining room wall, but it really needs to be lighted from behind.

Any suggestions, tips, info on what to use to light it? Christmas tree lights? Rope lights? Undercabinet lights? Also, do I build it into a box frame? Has anyone done something like this?

Thx! Ri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvamae

There is a light box that is used to trace patterns, etc. We have one called "Light Tracer" made by Artograph. It may have come from Michaels or a local art supply store. I have seen them as large as 18x24. Don't know if they make them larger. You can do a search on Google for "lightbox for tracing" and see different types. I wonder if you could install one of these behind the stained glass picture? I saw one during my Google search that was very slim-line.

Bookmark   December 6, 2009 at 2:36PM
flagtruck

Great advice Silva, I have seen them install rope lights inside a 2" deep box hung on the wall to light something from behind. I have no other ideas. Good luck

Bookmark   December 6, 2009 at 8:09PM
Calamity_J

It sounds wonderful...could you post a pic for us!?

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
Gold Kinky Boots
Now I'm blinging out the master bath. My poor hubby...
brokenbitmosaics
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
mosaicing within old picture frame
Someone somewhere posted details on how to do this...
povertylodge
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™