single pole to 3way

sussertownAugust 23, 2013

I have a sunsmart GE digital timer switch. It can be installed as either single pole or 3way. I am removing a single pole with only two black wires. I looked at the new device diagram and it looks like I wired it perfectly but there are no signs of life. The new switch has wires: green (ground) white, red (capped) black and blue. The diagram is attached. I'm sure I'm just missing something very simple. Can you help with a better diagram or thought? by the way the switch is in the same box as another 3way but it looks like they are on separate lines so I did not interconnect the two switches.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saltcedar

Try swapping the black wires (line and load). I think you have them reversed.

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 10:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jreagan_gw

Many of these new fancy switches require hot and neutral connections. If you only have a 2 conductor switch-leg into your switch box (ie, power coming in, power going out when switch is turned on), then you are stuck. The new switch will not work without a neutral wire.

So check the instructions to see if it requires a neutral. Some do, some don't. Maybe you can swap it for one that doesn't require a neutral.

That is why the latest NEC requires a 3 conductor wire (like a 14/3) as a switch-leg.

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 10:46AM
More Discussions
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Lights Flickering...
We paid an electrician to put in a ceiling light in...
regina_phalange
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™