Another paint or don't paint question...

cherylebAugust 18, 2013

I have always been averse to painting furniture, especially if it has a beautiful patina and wood grain. Having said that, I want to create a soft and pretty bedroom and think the dark wood might not work.

I am having the walls painted this week in CIL Wexford Fog. It is the color shown in the last picture. I am also using the night tables and upholstered headboard. I have floor length drapery panels in a soft green with a gold pattern. I am thinking about painting this dresser in a creamy white. The nightstands are a deeper taupe and the headboard is cream.

I am thinking about using this mirror over the dresser. It is 32" x 52" and the dresser is 55" wide.

I also have a mirrored jewellery armoire in the room.

Do you think I should paint this dresser or leave it in its natural state? Would my plan work as well without painting?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

I think the dark piece works well in your inspiration picture.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:04PM
Miz_M

Personally, I couldn't paint your piece, I love the beautiful finish. However, it's yours to enjoy, and you should do what makes you happy.

I agree with Pal, the inspiration picture is a good example that stained wood is gorgeous with that style decor, and would play well off your other furniture.

I'd at least live with it in there for a while, before you decide, and see how you feel. :)

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:14PM
eclecticcottage

I'm not opposed to painting furniture, but that piece is really lovely, I would leave it natural.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:41PM
cheryleb

You have me convinced. It has a few scratches but I bought it because it had great character and lines. Looking at the picture of my room in the last house reminded me of how nice the wood did look with the creamy neutrals.

I bought some picture frames today and had a few photos printed and thought they would look really nice on a white dresser but they will probably look very good on a wood one too.

Thank you all very much.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
WWYD -part 2
Here is the wall opposite the window
2pups4me
Garden Web now part of houzz
The message has been posted see the link. "Last...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Chair Chairs Chairs Question for Holly-Kay
Holly-Kay, You suggested ladder back chairs for my...
Javachik
Grey-blue paint
So our master bath is sea glass green (well kinda,...
angiern2004
Who makes the longest lasting, best stone impregnator/sealer??
Hi, Can anyone tell me the best brand/name of natural...
nicole0007
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™