The Cross

nicethymeDecember 4, 2012

I want to make my father a cross for Christmas but I wanted it to be small and unique so I'm making my own substrate from Apoxie sculpt I rolled out 3 thin layers and cut the shapes out with a wallpaper blade. I cut a keyhole hanger into the 1st 2 layers and then layed on the last.

despite that I have learned it would be best to wait to move these around because they stretch - I wanted to take advantage of their stickiest stage to "weld" them all together as one piece.... it wasn't too hard to re trim and fix some afterwards.

to illustrate the stretching aspect the top most layer began to sag into the keyhole below and I had to turn it over and stuff some wads of paper in there to support and hold it open.

This post was edited by nicethyme on Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 5:06

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loribee2

Can't wait to see it!

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 8:46PM
nicethyme

oh hahah DOH I forgot to add the picture - ooooh edit feature - how I love you!!!!!!! thank you gardenweb!!!!! lol

This post was edited by nicethyme on Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 5:08

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 11:21PM
texaswild

Well you l'il heifer! That is a WONDERFUL design. I'll be so anxious to see how you mosaic it. Re the welding capabilities of the Apoxie, that was what was so impressive to me when I watched the video. You can stick tess into it while making the bezels and not have to glue or grout. Thanks for sharing tips. I'm wondering if I'll EVER find time to order and play with it. Have another commission on the horizon - a Medicine Wheel.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 6:23AM
silvamae

Oooo, I've GOT to have some of that stuff. Maybe after Christmas . . . Love the cross and Slow, a Medicine Wheel? Fascinating -

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 10:17AM
nicethyme

yeah,what is a medicine wheel?????

ok, don't know if this even counts as a mosaic but hey didn't we all start out with a half marble covered bowling ball!! LOL

I decided to go all "Vatican ritzy" on this just cause I love red and gold. I stuck the globs to foil before gluing them on and created an Apoxie setting for each one. did an under painting in red for that traditional gold look

then it was gold paint, mica and gold rub and buff

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 1:44PM
silvamae

It looks like an ancient and priceless treasure brought up from the bottom of the sea -- or found in a catacomb - the design is beautiful. I love it.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 3:44PM
texaswild

Absolutely gorgeous. I LOVE the settings you created, and I sooooooo love red and gold too. Beautifully, and creatively done. You always come up w/things I'd never think of. Your Dad w/love this.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 4:44PM
nanatricia

Cool!! I sure do like that cross.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 9:04PM
nicethyme

well like all things - I came up with another idea while I was making the 1st one so I made this one too

that one started out all one level and I added to layers of glass to get the same art deco style as the 1st one

This post was edited by nicethyme on Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 18:37

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 6:35PM
More Discussions
Outdoor Thermometer
Did this to go on our porch next to the kitchen door....
brokenbitmosaics
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
Need grout colour suggestion.
I have been working on this project through the holidays...
tiffy_z5_6_can
I have been making some mirrors...
I am enjoying looking at all of your mosaics and I...
angs_pool
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™