Slow or Flag re:chimenea

soxxxxDecember 4, 2009

My brownish colored glazed chimenea has flaked off on the upper 1/3 leaving a large unglazed soft looking surface. I have been considering using thinset to try to build it back up. Is this a good idea? If so what should I use to seal/reglaze it? I had once thought of mosaicing just that area and gradually blending the edges into the still good surface. It has never had fire in it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flagtruck

soxxx if I were you I would run, not walk to the thinset and get started. I would build that part back and then go over the rest of the piece with your thinset also. You could mosaic it or do as Slow did with her latest and greatest fountain and stain it back brown. I will let her tell you what she used but I know she watered down concrete stain and sprayed it on I think.
I don't know what part of the country you are in but I have had Mexican clay pottery separate even in our relatively warm humid climate. I think it has something to do with what part of Mexico the clay came from.
Good luck, I believe you can salvage it.

Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 8:04PM
texaswild

Great advice. That's what I'd do. Re the fountain, I watered down the thinset colorant and brushed/sprayed it on. Not sure how much w/come off. Haven't sealed it yet, but plan to re-apply in the spring and seal it, hoping for more permanent bond. As I learned when I was coloring thinset on "Shea's Tower", it doesn't take color well once it's dry. Should be added when mixing it up to apply, or sprayed/brushed on while it's wet.

Bookmark   December 5, 2009 at 9:31AM
soxxxx

Thanks for the prompt advice. I want to go right out and tackle it, but the surprise record setting 21o has kept me inside and thumbimg through glass patterns and "such."
I am high energy like slow.

Bookmark   December 5, 2009 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
"Footprints in the Sand" Mosaic
Artwork of footprints in sand usually accompanies the...
segrieb
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
Thrift Store Remake....
I thought it needed a little something extra.
brokenbitmosaics
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
mosaicing within old picture frame
Someone somewhere posted details on how to do this...
povertylodge
Sponsored Products
Fisher-Price Thomas & Friends Wooden Railway Steaming Around Sodor - BDG59
$59.46 | Hayneedle
Chelsea Home Furniture Fresno Sectional Sofa - FS48067-RE
Hayneedle
Design House 37W x 22D in. Granite Single Sink Vanity Top - 552547
$459.99 | Hayneedle
Borders Hand-Tufted Grey Wool Rug (3'6 x 5'3)
Overstock.com
Frigidaire 0.9 Cubic Foot Black Countertop Microwave
Overstock.com
Babymoov Aquarium Ultrasonic Humidifier - A047010
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Blackboard Roosters Flag
$8.99 | zulily
Snoopy & Doghouse Salt & Pepper Shakers
$12.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™