Qualified Persons

mike_kaiser_gwAugust 1, 2013

Electrical work is limited to qualified persons in multi-family dwellings but what is exactly considered electrical work? Can, say, a condo owner replace a light fixture or a receptacle?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Usually not. That rarely stops them though.

    Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 4:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Installing fixtures and receptacles IS electrical work.

    Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 8:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

FTR, my "Usually not" was in reply to the last part of the OP.

    Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 10:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

In MA you pretty much have to be licensed to wire a nuclear power plant to be able to change a light bulb legally. This doesn't seem to stop the Borg from selling a lot of electrical parts to people who pretty clearly don't know enough about wiring to change a light bulb safely.

I can buy demanding real training for people working on a multi-family dwelling where other people's lives might be at stake, but do I really need a guy who's been to school for a couple of years, done a 5 year apprenticeship and then sat for an exam that covers every conceivable sort of commercial/industrial wiring to put a new switch out in my barn?

    Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 5:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"to put a new switch out in my barn?" If that is what the law requires.
It is my belief that we already have laws that make anything and everything illegal-- if the search for the specific law is diligent enough.

    Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 7:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Everyone, thanks for the input.

...to put a new switch out in my barn?

I think there's been some discussion of that in the past, maybe not here, but to break out, say, residential and commercial (and maybe industrial) work. Kind of like how there "clinics" in drugstores run by LPN rather than a MD. Do I really need a guy with 8 years of school and two years of residency to tell me I have a sinus infection or jock itch?

Off on an entirely different tangent...do we really need someone with a master's degree teaching the third grade. Let me rephrase that, should we pay someone with a masters degree more than someone with a bachelors degree to teach the third grade?

    Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 9:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

When I lived in St. Louis county Missouri this was handled very sensibly. You could get a "homeowner electrician" certificate by taking a ~50 question exam covering basics like wire sizes, box fill, gfci rules, anchoring requirements and then doing a 10-15 min interview with the inspector where he quizzed you about your plan and got a good idea whether you knew what you were doing. Once you passed you could pull your own permits to work on your own house and outbuildings, but not on others or multi family units. Seemed like a win-win in terms of getting much more work done under a permit and with inspections while recognizing that many people will choose to do this work themselves no matter the law.

    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 10:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Here (Virginia) you can legally pull permits and do the work yourself on your own single family residential property. Other than that, they expect you to be licensed.

    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 3:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toxcrusadr Clay Soil

Same here. I built a shop building out in the county (central MO) and had a permit and inspections. Local code allows the owner to do their own work as long as it passes inspection.

    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 5:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'm curious what "qualified" means. I understand an electrical license? How about a plumber that replaces an electric hot water heater? Should he call a licensed electrician to make the electrical connections or can he do it?

    Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 8:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

It depends on your local jurisdiction. In some cases, replacing a piece of equipment doesn't require a electrician (even if it involves making wiring connections), in some places it does. Frankly, having seen some real ugly connections done by non-electrician equipment installers (plumbers, hvac technicians, etc...) yeah, it might be a good thing to have an electrician involved.

There's no universal answer. You would have to ask your local authority if you want to know officially. Of course, there are many people who figure it's better not to ask such questions and a lot of work that should be permitted or at least done by qualified people, is casually done by the other trades or by harry homeowner.

    Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 8:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Google from Mike Holts pages
Article 100

Qualified Person

The definition of âÂÂQualified Personâ was revised to read:

Qualified Person. A person who has the skill and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and its installation. This person must have received safety training on the hazards involved with electrical systems. Figure 100�"4

Intent: This term âÂÂQualified Person(s)â was used in about 65 Code sections throughout the 1999 NEC and the revision was intended to clarify that a qualified person must have received safety training on the hazards involved with electrical systems. No longer is a person considered qualified simply by being familiar with the construction and operation of the equipment and the hazards involved. See 110.16 Flash Protection, as an example where a qualified person is required. This makes the definition in line with OSHA and NFPA 70E requirements.

AuthorâÂÂs Comment: What constitutes safety training?

    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 1:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Note that Qualified just means "capable of being approved,"
the operative word for who can do something is APPROVED and that is solely at the discretion of the AHJ.

    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 8:40AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Badly done multi-wire circuits (previous owner strikes again..)
I bought a 1940-ish house last year, for which the...
Code changes
In outlining the electrical layout for our new home,...
Electrical Problem.
My mom's house has a problem with the lights temporarily...
Debra Johnson
Outdoor subpanel as AC disconnect
Can we use an outdoor subpanel as an AC disconnect?...
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
Sponsored Products
Foil Undertone Glass Ensemble BN/Hrdwr
Black & Ivory Falling Leaves Microfiber Sheet Set
$19.99 | zulily
Heirloom Old Bronze One-Light Sconce with Small Straight Glass
$278.00 | Bellacor
Direct vanity sink Bathroom Mission Turnleg 70 in. Double Vanity in Pearl White
Home Depot
Emerson LK130 Tilo Light Fixture - Opal Matte - LK130
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Adagio H7C3550 Harmony River - Clear Glass Floor Fountain
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™