Paint/strip door hinge?

stuvwxyz99August 2, 2012

I have some steel door frames (from which the hinge cannot be removed). The current state of these hinges looks like the example below, having been left this way by the previous owners.

I figure it would look better completely painted or completely stripped. Any advice on the best way to achieve either?

Hinge:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cat_ky

If the paint is latex, you should be able to clean it off with goof off. Previous owners here did about the same thing, except our doors are wood. I managed to get it all off. On the flat part, I did use a razor blade, because some areas were very thick. Good Luck.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 9:54PM
Annie Deighnaugh

strip, don't paint. We stripped all of ours at the old house which were painted...looked just like yours...but we removed them from the doors first...it was a challenge but doable.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 7:12AM
61tinkerbell

They don't look like they are very old, so either I would replace them with new, or strip them (please don't paint them!).

If you decide to strip them, goof off will be hard work, and very time consuming. For all our old hardware, I read a trick, which I tried... and it works perfect. Either on a pot or a crock pot (I used a crock pot) place your hardware, cover with water & add liquid laundry detergent. Cook for several house, and the paint will just fall off.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 8:10AM
stuvwxyz99

Unfortunately, the hinges cannot be removed (for replacement or for the crock-pot trick). They are an integral part of the steel door frame (either welded or riveted, not sure which).

I will give the goof-off a try.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
sectional sofa help
hi cross posting this from furniture b/c I really could...
lmgch
Do you like decor on the coffee table?
This relates back to our 'magazine house' discussion....
selcier
Why do you decorate?
I'm sure this has come up a million times before ....
anele_gw
I need help deciding what color to paint my sofa frame
I am re-upholstering a vintage french couch, with the...
lizzierobin
Help with window treatments
Hi, we put in new living room windows, and now I need...
marbelle21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™