Wiring Garage

jimmyleonAugust 8, 2012

I am having a garage added to my house. I want to add two 20 amp circuits so lights and receptacles will be on different circuits. Can I just run a 12/3 wire from my main panel to the garage and use a shared neutral at the main panel? In the garage branch off with say black for lights and red for receptacles. If so do I need a double pole breaker like you wire a 240 circuit or a set of 20 amp breakers that have handles on the breakers so if one circuit trips they both do? I guess what I am asking is if just a standard double pole 20 amp breaker is ok. Red and black wire on the breaker and white, of course, to the neutral. Will this work? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kurto

Yes, a standard double-pole 20A breaker is what you need. You also need to connect a ground (but you already knew that).

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 8:30AM
bus_driver

Use the double pole breaker. No possibility of getting both circuits on the same pole of the service.
Be sure to keep all your receptacles at least 18" above the floor in the garage. If lower than 18", your inspector may call it a Class 1 location. You really do not want to know how much that costs.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 8:37AM
jimmyleon

Thanks, Kurto and Bus Driver. That is what I will do.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 9:25AM
More Discussions
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™