Simple Question about a Three Rocker Switch

susanelewisJuly 9, 2010

We just had a Panasonic WhisperWarm FV11VHL2 Vent Fan Heater Lite installed in our bathroom. I had picked out the appropriate switches for it but soon found out that I could not fit a 3 gang box on the wall. So I'm back stuck with my two gang box and quad rockers.

I want to put a timer on just the exhaust fan. I found the following Leviton switch that could handle the three other functions for the other side of the switchbox(see below).

However, the three switches would need to control the heater, light and nightlight. The description for the switch states:

Individual Switches: 15 Amp 120 Volt/Device Total 20 Amp 120 Volt

Here is the watts used for each component:

Heater: 1425 w

CFL light: 36 w

Night light:4 w

The total is 12.2 amps if everything is turned on at the same time and under 12 amps for just the heater.

This triple rocker would allow us to use the other gang for a timer for the exhaust fan. I'm concerned about the triple switch because most things I read suggest a 20amp switch for the heater. This triple rocker is rated for a "total of 20 amp" but each switch individually is only 15 amp.

Can I use this triple rocker for my situation?

Here is a link that might be useful: Leviton switch

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanelewis

Here's another switch that is rated for 20 amp and even lists heater as one to control...Would this one be a better choice?

Here is a link that might be useful: Broan 20amp variable control switch

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 11:57PM
susanelewis

Hello?????? Anyone?

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 7:26AM
hendricus

We have the first one you mentioned and it works just great. There has never been a need for a timer on our exhaust fan, when you're done the room is dry enough to turn everything off.

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 8:11AM
susanelewis

Thanks, hendricus. I was at this point just wanting confirmation as we installed the Broan one (available at Lowes) over the weekend. So far so good. Is one of your functions a heater? That was the item that concerned me.

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 9:30AM
hendricus

Heat, fan, light on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Sounds like just what you have. The light only holds a 40 watt bulb so we use it as an evening light and rarely use the main lights if we are just in and out of the bathroom

Tha main lights are in a separate switch below the three gang and the three is higher than a normal switch so visitors don't monkey with it. The idea was to make it clear which switch to use without labels.

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™