Replacing breakers

housefairyJuly 21, 2011

Replacing a double breaker that was used for a hot tub/spa. Also changing out the wire to 12 gauge.

So other than the double black, the green and white would be replaced to the exact SAME place on the bus board. Is this correct? The reason I am asking is they are placed one on top of each other on a bar. This was originally installed by an electrician.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petey_racer

Not sure I get the situation.

If I am correct, you are not really replacing anything, but you are simp0ly using the space that a spa breaker previously occupied?

Where are you getting two blacks? In one cable? That can't be right.

Forget what was there and tell us what you are doing new.

Can you explain a little better?

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 10:13AM
housefairy

Originally there were two blacks and a green and white. The two blacks are attached to the double breaker. So there were four wires running through the conduit to the spa.

Replaced the original wires with 12 gauge through conduit. This is still going outside to a GFI receptacle and then being routed to post lights. So now I have (3 separate wires) a black, white, and green. Changed the breaker to a 20 amp and attached the black to the breaker. The green and white were installed in the exact same place as the original green and white wires.

And PeteyRacer thanks for your response.

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 11:37AM
randy427

If this is a subpanel, the greens (grounds) and whites (neutrals) cannot be on the same buss bar. If this is a main panel, with integral main disconnect, they can be on the same buss bar, but I don't believe they may be attached in the same spot.

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 11:41PM
housefairy

Thanks Randy for your response. They are on a main panel but attached one on top of the other on the bar, in a different slot. They are not in the exact same spot. Just changed each wire at the same place. So it sounds like it's good to go.

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 10:03AM
fa_f3_20

Odd that the electrician who installed the spa would have pulled two blacks for the hots. The right way would have been one black and one of some other "hot" color (red, blue, etc.).

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 11:40AM
kurto

There's nothing wrong with 2 black wires for the hots. I don't find this odd at all. It's easier just to stock the single color and fully code compliant. In the case of a 240/120 circuit, the 2 hots are interchangeable, so I don't see any advantage to an extra color.

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
Ceiling fan wiring
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
jjp2121
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™