feet of wire to wire home

mattankJuly 29, 2007

Is there some type of formula or method for figuring how many feet of wire required to wire a basic home. I know that there will be some heavier ga. wire for some certain circuts, but just trying to figure the main wire footage, Thanks for any help,, Matt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petey_racer

There is no formula that I know of.

How big is the house?

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 10:37PM
jack82

there is not a formula but I usually figure about 1 ft of 14-2 for every sq ft and 1/4 of that in 14-3 and 12-2 for example a 3000 sq ft house would take 3000 ft of 14-2 and 750 ft of 14-3 and 12-2 and the rest of the wire would be cut to exact lengths for a/c and oven and such

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 10:47AM
bus_driver

jack's idea will get pretty close for code work. Fancier systems will require more wire. Phone and coax are additional.

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 12:55PM
normel

Jack: Is that figure using 14ga for lighting only and 12ga for receptacles or are you running some GP receptacles with 14?

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 1:52PM
mattank

Thanks for the replies, house ia 2420 sq. ft. I think Jack has me going in the right direction,, Thanks, Matt

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 8:45PM
dan1554

When my Aunt & Uncle built their home about 10 years ago, I was elected to do all the wiring. We sat down to discuss supplies, outlets, ceiling fans, and of course wire needed. My Aunt pops up and says "oh you won't have to buy any wire, I bought a WHOLE ROLL of wire." My eyebrows went up, and I said I don't think that will be enough. She said oh, it's a big roll, 250 feet..... As it turned out, to wire a 1200 square foot 4 room home, we used about 2500 feet of wire total..... but that also was with running at least twice as many circuits and outlets as what code required. It's hard to estimate how much wire is needed without seeing how the house is laid out, but I hope this gives you a general idea.

Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Wall-plate power for Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phone base
My current Panasonic cordless phone system has become...
turfserf
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™