Hot Tub Grounding Wire

khuggartJuly 19, 2010

I noticed lastnight when I was standing on my wet deck and touched the water in my hottub I received a bit of a shock. I immediately cut off all power to the hot tub. Today I checked the power panel for the hot tub and noticed the grounding wire from the hot tub had come loose inside the panel and was no longer connected. I reconnected the grounding wire to the panel and tested the water and no shock... Don't yell at me I know it was stupid to test with my hands but at the time I thought the shock lastnight was so minimal it should be okay... and fortunately there was no shock. Do you think connecting the hottub grounding wire corrected my problem or should I look at something else? I also have a grounding rod with a copper wire connecting the panel to it and it is about 8 feet dep and next to the panel. I've read and heard different comments that say there should be a grounding rod, and there shouldn't be a grounding rod. Which is best advice?

Thanks in advance... khuggart

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petey_racer

Can you describe "the grounding wire from the hot tub"? What wire is this exactly?

NO, no ground rod is required for a hot tub. If there is a sub-panel in a detached structure there should be one, but NOT one for the tub itself.

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 7:45PM
khuggart

We have a separate subpanel that comes off the main - 50 Amp Fuse... "aluminum wiring" unfortunately that runs underground to the hottub and is wired to a subpanel. There is a copper wire that comes off the subpanel to a grounding rod just inches away from the panel and about 4-5 inches underground. I'm not sure the size of the wire but it's thick enough that it's difficult to manipulate easily. We were told to add a grounding rod "years ago" when we installed it so we did.

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 10:34PM
petey_racer

Well the ground rod is for the panel, not the tub, and is required.

Are you saying you have AL wire from the sub-panel to the tub. Larger AL wiring like a feeder to a sub-panel is typically fine, but most tubs require CU wiring to them.

So specifically what wire came loose???

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 10:49PM
khuggart

The wiring from the main panel to the subpanel is aluminum. The tub has 3 CU wires plus a copper ground wire to the subpanel. The copper ground wire is the one that was not connected... no ground. We ran a multimeter on it lastnight and it doesn't appear there is any leakage so I'm HOPING that reconnecting the hottub ground wire to the subpanel fixed the problem... any thoughts?

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 7:59AM
hrajotte

ONE thought - GFI breaker!

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 8:12AM
khuggart

GFCI is on the subpanel and I tested it after I reconnected the copper wire and it appears to be working fine.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 11:16AM
petey_racer

So are you saying the ground wire is separate from the other three?
What is the rating of the tub? 240? Or 120/240v? Meaning does it require a neutral?

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 12:50PM
khuggart

240... has a neutral wire on it.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 4:31PM
petey_racer

OK, then that is a 120/240v circuit. The ground should have been run with the circuit conductors.

I am still unclear as to what ground wire you are talking about.

Can you post a pic?

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™