my first mosaic project - be gentle

lambeaufan71December 14, 2008

So after checking out and lusting over this and many other forums and sites, I finally ordered some tiles and decided to give it a go. Here is my first effort, there's lots of stuff I would change if I could start over. But that's what the SECOND project is for!

Its 1' x 2' and I still need to grout it. It's going to be a Christmas present for my mom.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terikat_mom

Lambeaufan71! Welcome to the group! Your 1st project is great! Your mom will LOVE it! Great use of color! Don't worry you will get nothing but support from this great group!

Bookmark   December 14, 2008 at 1:55PM
cindiloo

Your 1st mosaic? Wow, very, very nice! I love all the color bits in the middle. Great job! Looking forward to seeing it grouted.
Already talking about your second project....yep, you're hooked! Welcome to the mad obsession of mosaics...you're gonna love it!

Bookmark   December 14, 2008 at 2:03PM
katishooked

Well Lamb #1 welcome. #2 for your first project I don't think you should change anything. I think you have done a great job. Am sure you mom is going to love it.
Post a pic after you get it grouted.

Kathy

Bookmark   December 14, 2008 at 5:44PM
daisyme

Ta Da! You did GREAT! Your mother is going to love this!

Bookmark   December 14, 2008 at 6:58PM
becky_ia

Ditto here! What mother WOULDN'T love it?! Very nice...what did you use for your base?

Becky

Bookmark   December 14, 2008 at 11:48PM
shrty411

Excellent first project!! You did good!

Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 12:34AM
fiddlekate

It's lovely, Lamb! And welcome! :)

Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 6:11AM
cait1

Wonderful! Your Mom will love it! Welcome!

Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 8:51AM
Calamity_J

WELCOME To The Forum!!! And good job for your first project! And way to go on the pic posting...we looove pics!!! And of course I would be remiss if I didn't do my duty of informing you of the.....

Here is a link that might be useful: WARNING!!!

Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 9:09AM
barrell

You did great for your first project. In a year you will be amazed at how much beter you will be. When you have to choose a grout color think long and hard how your choice of color can change the piece. I sometimes spend weeks thinking about grout color after finishing the glass. I just this week used two different color grouts on the same piece because it just seemed right.

Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 3:26PM
mermaidmosaics

Welcome Lambeau!! You did wonderful for your first mosaic. Yes, already thinking of your next project, you are on your way , or already, addicted!!! It's so much fun you will soon be finding everything in your house needs to be mosaiced.

color combination is great, can't wait to see when you finish grouting your first!!! Keep those pix coming

Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 7:05PM
texaswild

Oh, my!!! BEAUTIFUL for a first project or even intermediate. The cross really stands out. Yep - you're addicted already. AS BARRELL said, you'll improve w/practice, and be amazed at how much you'll learn as you go.

Bookmark   December 16, 2008 at 8:41AM
robin_ssi

Your mosaic piece is beautiful and your mother is going to cherish it. Your color choices are lovely. Barrell is right, grouting the piece in is going to really change the look. Grout is going to give it a finished look. I think you'll be very pleased. Good job all around!

Bookmark   December 16, 2008 at 2:18PM
nicethyme

very nice, great first effort and
i can't wait to see your follow up pieces!

Bookmark   December 18, 2008 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
My last commission of 2014
A dear friend's sister commissioned me to make this...
silvamae
"Footprints in the Sand" Mosaic
Artwork of footprints in sand usually accompanies the...
segrieb
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
acrylic sheet
Hello all I have dabbled in other media like oil and...
bicem
bicem
Hi, bicem, you posted a mosaic question on the "conversation"...
silvamae
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™