Outdoor Lamp Post Wiring Fix

benjohnsonJuly 5, 2011

I have an old lamp post outside my house with five globes. Recently two of them stopped working. I don't know much about electricity, but I've checked the wires at the bottom of the post and everything is connected and working there. At the top in the socket, I'm not getting anything. I tried sanding out corrosion, but I'm not sure what else to try. I can see the connections of the light socket to the rest of the wiring and they seem to be connected. Is there anything obvious that I'm missing before I call someone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
circuitbreaker

What did you use to test the sockets for power? If everything seems fine you can try to see if the center contact is too far down and not making contact with the lamp (Bulb) You can try prying it up with a flat screw driver (With the power off of course) and only enough that it will make contact with the bottom of the bulb

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 4:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
benjohnson

Thanks for your reply. I used a voltage detector... I also checked the contact and pulled it up a bit. And tried sanding out the bit of corrosion that was on the contact.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 8:26AM
More Discussions
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™