Gazebo Light Installation

tim_pool_newbieJuly 1, 2010

I just recently purchased a gazebo with pre-wiring for a light. I bought a simple octagonal light fixture that should fit nicely over the octagonal opening in the gazebo ceiling where the wire comes in. However, there is a cross-member bar straight across the celing opening and so I'm not quite sure how to install any type of junction box onto which I can then install my light fixture. If I tack the box to the bottom of this cross-member, the light fixture would not be flush against the celing.

Anyone have any thoughts on the proper installation of a gazebo light? (Even if I were installing a ceiling fan I'd have the same issue)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedmeister

pictures would help.

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 6:05PM
tim_pool_newbie

I couldn't figure out how to post photos to this forum, so hopefully this URL link to an online gallery of the photos will help.

http://cid-7cca53e7b99bfaa5.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Gazebo%20Light

I took various photos of the gazebo ceiling as well as the fixture itself that I'm attempting to install.

Someone else indicated there may be a special box for this, but I haven't found anything yet.

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks,
Tim

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 9:22PM
spencer_electrician

pancake box. It is 4" and round and is only 1/2" thick. It looks like the 2x4 support is 1/2" higher than the finish surface anyway.

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 10:08PM
weedmeister

It's not entirely clear to me, but it seems like the electrical lines are separate from the mounting? And that the mounting bracket attaches to the 2x4 and the light kinda 'screws' into the bracket?

Can the electrical wires go inside the hollow mounting 'bolt'? If so, put your box on the other side of the 2x4. I believe you can find boxes that have a knock-out plug in the middle for this.

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 11:16AM
randy427

I'd be careful not to block the airflow up into the cupola. This is a factor in the heat build-up in the gazebo (comfort factor). A lighting fixture with a smaller base might be in order.

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 11:29AM
More Discussions
Subpanel Question
I have a 100 amp panel being fed by #4 awg copper wire I...
Calo Renovations
Need to Understand GFCI Requirements.
I posted this in the remodeling section, but I think...
homechef59
Code changes
In outlining the electrical layout for our new home,...
mtvhike
Grounding Service panel 200amp
Is the new NEC saying to no longer run # 4 copper wire...
Inspection Report
Had a gorgeous 1909 house inspected yesterday and don't...
cmae17
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™