coax

ionized_gwJuly 5, 2010

I am contemplating installing a rooftop TV antenna. Is there any difference between coaxial cables in terms of UV resistance? I was looking at some coils this morning and there was no mention of this on the packaging.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

An "A" in the marking indicates "aerial" use. That would imply ultraviolet resistance.

Bookmark   July 5, 2010 at 5:34PM
matt-kuhar

my friend has coax that he installed on his house 5-6 years ago and its in sunlight for about 8-9 hours during the day and its still performing perfectly and still flexes in the breeze.

P.S. he bought quad shield coax 100 ft at walmart i believe with the connectors on the ends already

sorry but i cant find the link currently if i find it i will post it

Bookmark   July 5, 2010 at 5:35PM
brickeyee

"sunlight for about 8-9 hours during the day"

Must be a knewlocation in CONUS wuth only "sunlight for about 8-9 hours during the day."

What location is this?

Bookmark   July 5, 2010 at 9:04PM
wayne440

I have put up lots of TV coax in the last 30 years. Avoid cable that is any color other than black, and don't buy it at Wal*mart. Get a decent brand like Commscope or Belden, and weather seal the ends properly.

I saw more cable ruined by water ingress than UV deterioration, unless it was jacketed with a color other than black. I can recall only two cases in the last 20 years where I replaced a "black" cable that had significant UV damage. Both were in the late 80's and the cable was 20+ years old.

Bookmark   July 5, 2010 at 10:31PM
ionized_gw

Thanks, guys. Wayne, how do I weather seal the ends properly?

Bookmark   July 6, 2010 at 1:51PM
wayne440

I like T&B snap-n-seal fittings. (see the link) You can also use a product called "coax seal", or similar Butyl componds sold under other names. If you can get hold of some splicing tape like Scotch 130c, that works very well. Even Super 33+ will work if carefully applied, but it is more difficult to get a lasting seal with 33+.

I took a piece of cable down yesterday that had been spliced with 2 fittings and an F81, then wrapped in 33+ or similar tape. I think it had been up for at least 5 years, the fittings still looked "new" inside.

Here is a link that might be useful: sns

Bookmark   July 6, 2010 at 8:29PM
ionized_gw

Thanks

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
Oil in Motor of Ironrite Rotary Iron. what do I do now?
Hi, I just bought an old 1946 Ironrite rotary iron...
lucinda002
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
Where to find power connectors for the LED under cabinet lights?
I bought a set of the GE/Jasco LED under cabinet lights...
flyingkite
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™