Generac standby generator - clock problem

sarahlee123July 9, 2013

We have a 14k Generac standby generator with Nexus something-or-other - please excuse the vagueness - I know very little about these things.

But I do know that the internal clock time is off, and its weekly exercise run time has been delayed by almost 40 minutes for the last two weeks. What could be causing this? I do have a good service company, but they are wildly busy right now and don't consider this a priority, since my generator is working. I can certainly understand that, but I'd like to have an idea of what the problem is and if it needs a repair. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This post was edited by sarahlee123 on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 21:57

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rebel222

The clock's time is off.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 11:16PM
Ron Natalie

I'm not familiar with that controller (I've got the 80KVA unit), but I suspect for some reason the controller clock slipped time. I'd check to see if it has some internal battery that's gone loopy. Either that or the stupid thing just doesn't keep good time.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 8:38AM
sarahlee123

Rebel222 and ronnatalie, thanks for your replies. Would either of you know if this clock issue could cause problems with the actual running of the generator, or is it just a nuisance with the exercise run time?

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 10:56AM
Ron Natalie

As far as my Generac is concerned, the clock only is used for starting the exercise time and logging purposes. It really doesn't have much to do with the generator operation. It's the transfer switch that tells the generator to start and the generator will try for a bit before it gives up (if it doesn't start) but the inaccuracy of 30 minutes in weeks isn't likely to have any practical issue.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 6:20PM
sarahlee123

Ronnatalie, thanks so much for the information! I would like to get the time set properly. When the service techs are less busy, I'll ask them to walk me through resetting the clock. I'd really like to get it back to its proper exercise time so I can be there to listen for it each week.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Lights Flickering...
We paid an electrician to put in a ceiling light in...
regina_phalange
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™