? on changing electric range outlet

abbey_cnyJuly 1, 2012

I am getting ready for a kitchen remodel and it will include replacing all the appliances. My electric kitchen range has a 3 prong outlet on a 50 amp breaker. I am going to want the

electrician to replace the outlet with a 4 prong outlet. In order to do that properly I am assuming he will also have to replace the wire back to the circuit breaker. Is that correct? I would just like to have an understanding what is required for this part of the job before the work is done.

Thanks!

Abbey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Yes, if he puts a four wire receptacle in, there must be four wires back to the panel. You can probably legally retrain the three wire circuit for the range, but if you're doing substantial work (including pulling additional other circuits, you might as well do it right.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 8:11PM
abbey_cny

Thank you! Yes,I am doing additional work (additional circuits and moving outlets) so I will just add this to the list.

Abbey

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 8:41PM
weedmeister

any particular reason you are changing it? Your new range might work just fine with it.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 2:03PM
abbey_cny

Hi weedmeister,
Well the reason I am changing it is because I am paranoid about electricity due to a house fire as a kid. Seeing your house go up in flames can have a long term effect on a kid!
So in the interests of improving range safety (at least in my own mind lol) I am going with the 4 wire outlet which will be
properly grounded (as opposed to the 3 wire, which means it is grounded to the stove chassis I believe?). It probably won't make the range any safer, but it will make me feel better so I am going to have it done.

Abbey

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 7:30PM
brickeyee

Three is no real safety difference between a 3-wire and 4-wire range or dryer circuit from a fire standpoint.

The advantage is the redundant safety ground.

The minor voltage rise on the chassis from 120 V loads on the circuit and the voltage drop on the shared ground-neutral is not a fire issue.

Under very specific (and uncommon) circumstances it could be a hazard to people.

Some newer stoves have enough electronics they can benefit form having a separate grounding conductor to reduce electrical noise.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 10:11AM
More Discussions
Want to save shower recessed light
I have 2 matching recessed lights in my bathroom. One...
africanboy
Wireless light switch for switched outlet?
So we have no overhead lighting in any of our bedrooms,...
vikingshelmut
Installing 220/240V. 50/60Hz appliances from Europe
I hope to install a "Domino" modular system...
panchoandlefty
Garage florescent light flickering - bulb or fixture problem?
I replaced the GE F40 RES garage lights with a GE F40...
bibbus 7b
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
mike_kaiser_gw
Sponsored Products
Triple Concealed Thermostatic Shower Valve, Square Head & 4 Body Jets
Hudson Reed
aTool Suspension by Ingo Maurer
$1,310.00 | Lumens
Bali DiamondCell 3/8-inch Double Cell Northern Lights & Storm VertiCell Shades
Blindsgalore
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs State of Honor Red/Ivory 5
Home Depot
Caskata Sea Fan Soup Bowl
$44.50 | FRONTGATE