Is installation of boxes (mostly) included in "rough in" phase?

elphaba_gwJuly 27, 2013

Electrician is currently wiring/rewiring our kitchen in preparation for drywall and kitchen cabinets and appliances . Plumbing is pretty much done.

I have a question about what I should expect from a two phased installation:

1. 60% is due upon completion of the rough in
  2. 40 % is due upon completion.

My question is what should I expect with the rough in? He is leaving numerous wires hanging (pendants for island), wire for microwave undercounter cabinet install, wires behind what will be pantry cabinets. Cabinets will have a back so somehow during cabinet install, hole will need to be pulled for wires and then outlet (external plastic "plaques") will need to be applied to finish.

He will be leaving a lot of "wires" hanging. Should I expect at least there to be a "box" for each wire? Something like this - i.e. should installation of "boxes" be part of the rough in? I'm concerned because we may not have him back for the "finish" and don't want to pay for boxes at that time if they should have been included in the "rough in".

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petey_racer

NO. Things like this are very often left as whips to be cut-in later so locations can be pin pointed.

Are you seriously concerned about paying for boxes??? Are you aware how little these boxes cost?
If you are that cheap then simply ask the electrician for a few cut-ins at the time of rough.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 2:50PM
elphaba_gw

I'm not concerned about the cost of the boxes but I AM concerned about the cost of INSTALLING the boxes. I'm sure it woudn't take much to find an electrician to charge $50 per.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 2:57PM
petey_racer

You can have him install the boxes, but don't be upset if they are not perfectly placed.
All the things you mention I would also leave whips for.

Is he aware that you may plan on not having him back to finish?

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 3:11PM
elphaba_gw

Yes

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 5:02PM
petey_racer

You cannot compare the time it would take to put boxes in now and to cut them in later.
To do it now is easy and will take 2 minutes. Later it takes time figuring, measuring and cutting. I'm sure he's taken this into account.
It's not like if you don't have him come back he is cheating you out of something.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 8:45PM
elltwo

I thought that the purpose of a rough inspection was to assess the spacing and volume of boxes and mechanics of splices and grounds, and to make sure fastening, among other things is done in a workman-like manner. That can't happen without boxes.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 6:37AM
petey_racer

There is nothing stating boxes must be installed. An inspector can "request" them, but he'd have nothing in writing backing him up.

Like I said, what the OP describes is done ALL the time.And is the safe way to go (placement wise).

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 6:51AM
elphaba_gw

Thanks for the quick responses. We have been scammed numerous times (not by electricians though) - nice to know this is not one of them. Thanks again.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 9:20AM
btharmy

Before hiring a professional get references and also get references and don't forget to get references. Also, you get what you pay for. I hope you didn't hire some out of work electrician off of Craigs list for $50 per hour and expect to get a professional job.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
Bath fan/light combo
Attached is wiring diagram of masterbath (I hope I...
jaspol
Wireless light switch for switched outlet?
So we have no overhead lighting in any of our bedrooms,...
vikingshelmut
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
Two fans on same circuit in different rooms, can't get wiring right
So here's the situation. I have two ceiling fan/lights...
jenfarino
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
mike_kaiser_gw
Sponsored Products
Three-Tier Cast-Aluminum Desk Caddy
$130.00 | Horchow
Whitebark Olde World Patina Outdoor Wall Light
$98.00 | Bellacor
Darya Rugs Ziegler, Ivory, 6'0" x 8'10" M1783-99
Darya Rugs
Luxury High Gloss Black Horizontal Designer Radiator 25 x 39 3/8
Hudson Reed
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Westport Collection Wall Mount Outdoor Black
$72.36 | Home Depot
Nature Power Outdoor Lighting. Kona 88 in. Outdoor Solar Powered Black Lamp Post
Home Depot
Marisa Fringed Vanity Chair
$249.00 | FRONTGATE
Sydnee Satin Plum Drum Lamp Shade 14x16x11 (Spider)
$39.99 | Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™