1 switch for all exterior lights?

kcinkc71July 12, 2013

sorry if this has been addressed previously. we are just finishing foundation and framing starts soon. I would like a light switch in the master br to turn on all exterior lights (garage, front door, back and side floods) in case of a bump in the night. Is this a huge undertaking? and does it effect the switched for those lights that are near to them (by front door....) obviously some extra wire, but anything I should ask for during electrical walk thru in about a month?
thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wirenut1110

I would look into some lighting control/automation systems. There's some pretty cool stuff out there these days and the possibilities are endless.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 3:28PM
Ron Natalie

It's not a big thing. As Wirenut alludes it depends on just what you want to do. If you want maximum flexibility some of the automation things like Z-WAVE, X-10, or Insteon give you the maximum flexibility.

If you just want a switch in the bed room that turns on all the other lights independently of what their individual switches are set for yes it just takes some wire and a little forethought as to getting these wired up.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 3:35PM
bus_driver

Last one I did like that had 13 exterior fixtures to illuminate the entire perimeter of the house. I used three wall switches to "zone" the lights and installed a box in the basement framing with connections to permit powering those lights from the alarm system with a relay for the 120 volt supply. Not sure if the alarm company followed through.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 4:58PM
kcinkc71

Thanks for the replies. I will do some digging since I have some time. Didn't want anything too elaborate, just hitting 3-4 exterior lights with out going to the respective switches seemed like a good idea

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
Wireless light switch for switched outlet?
So we have no overhead lighting in any of our bedrooms,...
vikingshelmut
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
mike_kaiser_gw
Installing 220/240V. 50/60Hz appliances from Europe
I hope to install a "Domino" modular system...
panchoandlefty
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
baker1mich
Subpanel Question
I have a 100 amp panel being fed by #4 awg copper wire I...
Calo Renovations
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™