Remember...we're all different

cindy_pondNovember 18, 2008

After reading many many posts and seeing the post from ceph and seeing the pictures, it made me realize what different places we're all coming from. I am 52 years old and have had many years of step parenting. As I said in a previous post, I don't approach life the same as I did when I was 22, 32 or even 42. So the point of this is, we are all in different phases of this life with unique and not so unique experiences. We all come from our family of origin equipped with whatever they had to give us. When we give "advice", we might want to remember that the person posting may be young and new to all of this. Or, not in a place right now to "suck it up" or "make lemonade" or whatever we think is the mature thing to do. denying authentic feelings, even the negative ones, just prolongs the growth. We have to own our experiences and feelings and then growth and maturity can come. I am never too old to hear solid sage compassionate advice from women who share this common thread with me...thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
believer

cindy pond,

I think that what you have said is so important. I am 49 and like you have had years of step parenting. I've had years as a single mother. The past is a great influence. Some times it is a blessing, other times not so much. I think that age makes such a difference in how you look at things. Some times it is great to have the fresh perspective of the younger woman. The younger woman can some times benefit from the experience of a so called "seasoned" woman as well. The thing to remember in dealing with all of these issues IMHO, is to deal with them using honest, healthy emotions. We all need to be reminded of that at times. Thank you for posting this threat. I appreciate your insight.

Bookmark   November 18, 2008 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
Trying to figure out how to be a good adult stepdaughter...
My mother died eight years ago, and my dad remarried...
LindaLou22
Too much?? advice please
Hi. I am a Mum of 2- one being a step child, I am 27...
mummykim
step adult kids
Where and how do I start.. my wife has two adult kids....
January99
Choosing Cats over Friends
Sorry, I'm posting this here because I don't know where...
Karen10125
If I could tell mothers of adult stepchildren anything, Part 2
It seems my five-year-old topic has reached its limit...
lilysuzanne40
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™