Electrical Passing code

kchomeJuly 8, 2014

I can't believe our kitchen remodeling contractor believes this is acceptable for undercabinet lights. It looks pretty amateur.

I asked the inspector and she said it was ok. Now the contractor says it passed code so they won't correct it.

Would this pass code where you're at? Does NEC state anything about running wiring out from under covers?

This post was edited by kchome on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 13:34

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

It's not code for a number of reasons. Does it actually run from tnside that box or did he just find that the hole around the box was a convenient place to fish out a wire?

Cordage generally can neither run through walls. If that's actually connected directly to 120V I have my doubts that it's rated for that either.

There's there's the general provision that work needs to be done in a "wormkanlike manner" which that doesn't begin to address.

    Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 2:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It is hard connected in the box, then ran between the box and cover through a hole in the bottom of the cabinet to LED strips from Lowes.

Basically they cut off the plug from the LED strip light and hardwired it in the box and stuck a cover over it.

    Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 3:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You CANNOT hard wire plug in lights like that.
The plug-in puck lights are crap and nearly impossible to install and be code complaint.

    Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 3:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Well leaving the plug on and plugging it into the receptacle would be one way :)

Yes, it's illegal and unsafe the way it is. Inspectors don't catch everything, chances are the inspector didn't even open the cabinet not expecting to find someone hiding the Frankenstein wiring job in there.

    Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 4:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I wish was the case but I opened the cabinet, pointed to it, and asked her if it passed code. Her response was yes.... I was floored.

Does anyone have the NEC sections? I'd love to be more specific with her but may end up in hot water (aka never get my kitchen done) if I push it.

They also had romex running through the same holes in the floor joists as the water pipe. I had to point that out to her and she said that was not to code.

I really just want the job done right and safe but it doesn't look like the county inspector is going to help out.

    Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 5:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

There's no problem with NM cable sharing a hole with a water pipe. I don't know why you think that is a problem.

As for the illegal use of cordage.

400.8 Uses Not Permitted

(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring
(2) Through holes in walls
(4) When attached to building surfaces

Also violates 400.13 (overcurrent protection) and by reference in that section 240.5.

300.15 requires appropriate fittings and connectors, running out under a switch plate is NOT one of these. 314.17 also requires openings where wires emerge to be covered in an approved manner, diving under the coverplate is NOT one of these. 314.72 requires the box and cover to be a complete enclosure for the wiring within, I doubt that the wire poking out would provide for that either.

    Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 8:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"Her" is the electrical inspector or the contractor? Why not use CF for female contractor, MI for male inspector, or however it is and it will be a bit clearer.
We know it is not compliant with the NEC.
In NC, for example, electrical contractors are, in the final step, accountable to the state licensing board. That board has field representatives who will AND DO investigate every complaint received. Stiff consequences for the errant contractor often result. Often the contractor must correct ALL deficiencies AND refund to the customer ALL the monies received
Electrical inspectors in NC are, in the final step, accountable to the State Department of Insurance.
First request the local electrical inspector to look again at your premises. The contractor is not going to do anything to correct the problem unless forced to do so by officialdom.
So first contact the inspector, and if then necessary the proper regulatory agencies at the state level for your location.
Follow this advice precisely.

This post was edited by bus_driver on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 18:47

    Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 5:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"Her" is the female county building inspector. I appreciate the advice and the NEC references.

    Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 10:53PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
Grounding Service panel 200amp
Is the new NEC saying to no longer run # 4 copper wire...
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
Goodbye Phone Jack: what to do with wires?
We want to remove this phone jack. It's in a useless...
can homeowner so electrical work in his own home ? (above ground pool)
I live in Western ma and I'm having an Adobe ground...
Sponsored Products
Emerson CF705 Northwind 52 in. Indoor Ceiling Fan - CF705BS
$149.98 | Hayneedle
French Nouveau Chandelier by Currey & Company
$890.00 | Lumens
Commercial Electric 3 in. Brushed Nickel Recessed Lighting Retrofit Kit CER3GR31
$12.47 | Home Depot
White Queen Double-High Airbed & Built-In Pump
$84.99 | zulily
Calynda Nightstand - BLACK
$1,029.00 | Horchow
GE 1.6-cubic foot Over-the-Range Microwave Oven
Artemide | Tizio 35 Table Lamp
$480.00 | YLighting
Electric Dewdrops Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™