Stumped: dead receptacle
Just outside my back door, there is a light and a receptacle.
Just inside the door, there is a switch and a receptacle in the same box. The indoor receptacle is on a different circuit and works fine.
The switch controls the light. The light works fine. In the light's box, there is only one, two-wire cable that powers the light. Nothing goes back out.
The switch has one black wire in, and two black wires out. Checked all three with a direct contact, "real" voltage meter. The "input" is hot. When the switch is on, the two "outputs" are hot.
As for the receptacle outside the door, it's dead. I used the same voltage meter to check the black wire (itself, not terminal) against neutral and ground.
This is a relatively new house (What I've tried/checked/considered:
- Cut end off black wire, stripped, retested.
- One GFCI in whole house. Not tripped.
- Tried every light switch in the house.
- No other outlets are malfunctioning.
- Never noticed smoke/sparks/smell.
- No modifications to light fixtures, receptacles, walls.
- Also tried non-contact tester, same results.
- Used 3-light wiring tester on other outlet. Fine.
I've tried everything I can find in various forums, short of opening the wall. I'd really like to avoid that.
Any other ideas? I'd really appreciate your help with this.
This post was edited by Chris_ on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 12:37