Can PVC Conduit Cause Overheating?

bshanleyJuly 1, 2011

I'm installing an inlet from outside my home for my transfer switch. I used 10/3 building wire, with a ground. For neatness, I used 1/2" PVC Schedule 40 conduit in two places, one about 5', one about 3'. It was a pretty tight fit getting the wire through. Now I'm wondering, will the tight fit cause overheating? I haven't tried it out yet. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Your direct question is about overheating. No problem in your case. You did install NM cable in the conduit. If the conduit is in a "dry" location, the cable will not suffer from moisture damage. If these were individual conductors in the conduit, the installation would meet NEC specs for "fill". Based on the information you furnished, your installation will function satisfactorily.
Others will be along to debate the use of the conduit with the NM cable.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 7:15PM
kurto

Conduit or not, you have a problem if you installed NM (non-metallic) cable, since it isn't rated for wet locations. NM cable will rapidly fall apart under wet conditions (and the inside of conduit is particularly wet). You should have used UF cable or alternatively THWN individual wires inside conduit.

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 8:59PM
bshanley

Hi Kurto: Thanks for your advice. Let me say a little more, to make sure we're on the same page. I ran 40' of wire. 39' were inside the house, and all the conduit was inside the house. The final foot went through the block (10"), and the last little bit was inside a UL rated box, on the outside wall. I sealed the gap between the house and box on the top and two sides with Silicone II. Does it still sound as bad? How is it materially different than the wiring that runs to the light at my front door, which is not really wired as well? Thanks again - I'm not disputing your advice, just want to learn.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 12:33AM
kurto

With the installation you describe, you should be okay. It's technically a violation, but a rather minor one that is pretty common, and shouldn't present any real problems.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 8:56AM
Ron Natalie

I don't think it's a violation. The box is not a raceway even if it is in a wet location (though it does need to be rated for such the wires inside do not) and the raceway (conduit) is in not in a wet location.

The conduit provided to protect the NM from physical damage here is acceptable.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 11:25AM
kurto

Ronnatalie, I agree if none of the cable is exposed to the elements.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
baker1mich
Two fans on same circuit in different rooms, can't get wiring right
So here's the situation. I have two ceiling fan/lights...
jenfarino
Outdoor subpanel as AC disconnect
Can we use an outdoor subpanel as an AC disconnect?...
ylmzm
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
bicyclegirl1
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Hampton Bay Brushed Steel Conduit Power Feed for Linear Track Lighting EC705BA
$14.98 | Home Depot
Gridiron Console Table in Silver
$399.00 | LexMod
Bruck | Ledra AL-C Outdoor Light
$277.50 | YLighting
Hampton Bay Track Lighting Oil-Rubbed Bronze Linear Track Conduit Power Feed
$8.99 | Home Depot
Juno White Finish Live End Feed
$14.99 | Lamps Plus