75% intensity paint mix

ezb123August 16, 2012

I finally found a color that I like for my nursery. SW Sleepy Blue is a great blue-grey without being too baby blue or "Carolina" blue. I'm concerned that it may be a little dark, since I have only one window that is shaded. I read in a blog that if you like the color when it is wet and it dries a little too dark, that a 75% mix will give you the color you want. Has anyone experienced this? I've read about 50 and 75% mixes before but never with the description about the wet paint appearance.

Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Faron79

Since the color seems to be a lighter color, it usually works.

Medium-to-lighter colors are just fine with doing this.
Deep colors can be REALLY adversely affected!
As you move into darker tint-bases, more TIO2 pigment is left out. This makes these base much more "sheer", so going lighter with a deep color WILL result in a less-than-desireable result!

...UNLESS you like putting on 6 coats....

Faron

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 9:09PM
ezb123

Ok, thank you. I think I might have them make me a sample just to be sure. I would hate for it to come out a color I don't like, when I am ok with the 100%.

I'll follow up in case someone else is researching a similar question.

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 9:56AM
jane__ny

I mixed SW Iceberg 50% and the walls look white. No color at all. I wanted a light grey-blue but worried it would look too blue. The bedroom is dark, little natural light.

The walls look bright silver white. Not bad but not what I was looking for. I would test a wall before mixing 75%.

Jane

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 10:07AM
ezb123

Did you try the Iceberg first? Does the paint color you have now look like what the Iceberg did when it was wet?

I guess that is what I am going for...what the Sleepy Blue looks like in the can or before it dries.

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 4:29PM
ezb123

I ended up getting a sample of the 75%, just to be sure. It looks nice, what I was going for actually, the wet version. We decided we like the original color better, I'm glad I got the sample. I'll have to remember this trick in the future though, just a subtle difference might help with other colors.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Help me find a new coffee table
Just before the Houzz migration, GWers helped me decide...
smalloldhouse_gw
Any idea what this style house is called?
Hello folks! I saw this house and am very interested...
jplanger
Paint Ceiling Trim/crown color or wall color?
I'm getting ready to repaint my LR/DR kitchen area....
CaroleOH
Art height...opinions
i'm hanging six botanicals above table. Do you think...
Kitch4me
Width of light over vanity?
I am doing a budget renovation of the hall/company...
Susan Taylor Brown
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™