Main Breaker Question

bshanleyJuly 21, 2011

I have a Square D entry box, circa 1960, with 200 amp service and 20 amp circuit breakers. But instead of a main breaker, there is a "pull-out" with two large fuses. I want to install a Reliance Controls pre-wired transfer switch. Should be easy enough, right? So all I do is pull out the fuses, just as I would flip a main breaker? No special technique required? No big zaps?? Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Turning off all the breakers after the fuse block will put no load on the fuse block when it is removed.

They are normally designed to be rotated 180 degrees and re-inserted to cover the contacts.

'ON' and 'OFF' are on each end of the block to indicate the connection when the block is installed.

    Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 10:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thank you, Brickeye.

    Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 10:23AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
Wiring Ceiling fan
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™