Wiring problem

WHerzogJune 17, 2013

I recently replaced a water circulating pump that was wired into a basement junction box. I simply ran a wire to another junction box then ran it to an outlet in the kitchen. I replaced the kitchen outlet with a combination switch/outlet unit. The switch works fine. The pump works fine. The outlet works fine, But.......I now have two bathroom shower lights and fans and an outlet on my deck that do not work. All the fuses are in the on position. None were tripped. I was in the attic for quite a while but I don't think I kicked a wire to break a connection. Any Ideas? I really didn't change much. The wiring was all existing for the pump, and I simply changed the outlet using the same wiring for the new outlet and connected the new wire from the pump j box the the off/on switch.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Kitchen, outside, and bathroom. Sounds like it's an older house built back when they allowed one GFCI circuit to be shared. Look for a GFCI (the one with the test/reset buttons) on it. If it won't reset and fix the problem, you've managed to cause a ground fault (possibly the neutral and grounds are touching somewhere or the neutral between two circuits are touching).

By the way "works fine" does not equate to SAFE AND LEGAL under the code. Connecting a circulating pump to a kitchen receptacle outlet is improper.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:38AM
More Discussions
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™