Ceiling fan switch: no ground wire

liparuloJune 3, 2010

I'm changing a wall switch, which controls a ceiling fan and light (two separate controls on the switch). The switch I bought said it can be wired to all existing fan/light wiring. It has three wires coming out of it: fan, light, power(hot). The old one had four wires: fan, light, power, ground. The new one does not have a ground wire or even a terminal to connect the bare ground wire that used to be connected to the green ground of the old switch. Did I get the wrong switch or am I to simply connect the bare ground wire to the screw holding the new switch box to the wall box? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joed

Leave the ground off.

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 8:29AM
manhattan42

Grounded switches can only be replaced with grounded switches.

You need to get another switch, just as you had before, that includes a equipment grounding terminal or wire.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 6:40AM
hexus

"Grounded switches can only be replaced with grounded switches. "

Give the code reference

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 11:23AM
manhattan42

Switches 2008 NEC Article 409.9(B) "Grounding":

"Snap switches, including dimmer and similar control switches, shall be connected to an equipment grounding conductor and shall provide a means to connect metal faceplates to the equipment grounding conductor, whether or not a metal faceplate is installed. Snap switches shall be considered to be part of the effective ground-fault current path if either of the following conditions is met:

(1) The switch is mounted with metal screws to a metal box or metal cover that is connected to an equipment grounding conductor or to a nonmetallic box with integral means for connecting to an equipment grounding conductor.

(2)An equipment bonding jumper is connected to an equipment grounding termination of the snap switch."

----------------------------
Since the original poster makes no mention of a metal box nor any mention of a non-metallic box with an integral means to connect to an equipment grounding conductor, the only type switch that can be used here is one that has its own equipment grounding conductor terminal or equipment grounding conductor.

It is a code violation to use the ungrounded switch he purchased and needs to replace it.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
CharlesInVT
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™