New 200 amp service install questions...

heyyou910June 24, 2011

I just purchased a Square D Homeline 200 amp breaker box to go inside my shop. The breaker box has 4 lugs at the top just below the main. The outside 2 lugs are for the 240 volt. The 2 inside lugs are for a neutral and what appears to be a size for a ground. This box has a screw lug bar on each side and I when I ohmed out the small bars, they showed no resistance to the neutral and ground connection at the top. Does this mean that when the power guys come out to hookup my power, after that my neutral and ground wire can go on the same bar? This is my main panel, not a sub panel. Also, from the ground rod drove into the floor, does this #6 wire go to the grounding lug on top beside the neutral or does it attach to one of the bars on the side?

I've wired up boxes before, but that was when they had 2 lugs for hot, a seperate neutral bar and a seperate grounding bar. Just want to make sure that I can connect my neutrals and grounds on the same bar without screwing something up.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom_o

If there is no resistance, then all the bars are connected together.

If there is very high or infinite resistance, then the small bars are not connected to the neutral bar. If this is the case, then you probably need to install the main bonding jumper which will most likely be a green screw that will install in a specific hole in the neutral bar. If you look carefully at all the labels stuck in the box and the cover, one of them will indicate where to install the main bonding jumper.

BTW, one ground rod rarely satisfies the requirements of the NEC, you'll need to install a second rod at least 6 feet away from the first.

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™