Charging drawer in kitchen ?

labbieJune 18, 2012

Hi,

Crosspost from the kitchen forum-

Looking for input from anyone familiar with charging drawers in kitchens. This is a late add for us, and our cabinet maker and electrician have thrown out a couple of ideas that could work.

We will convert a shallow drawer next to the fridge to a charging drawer and wanted to know what the 'guts' of the drawer will involve- is it as simple as cutting out a spot for the wires to go through the back or side and figuring out a way so the drawer can still slide? Our electrician was thinking of a retractable type cord and I'm having trouble picturing how this would work.

I appreciate any tips- and photos if you have them.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

You might want to search this forum for previous threads on this topic.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 8:21AM
LouisianaHome

Personally, I would just have the back of the drawer drilled large enough to allow a 3-prong plug through. I would then put a low profile surge protector into the drawer and do all wire management inside the drawer. This leaves a clean look on the outside of the drawer with only a small single cord going through.

Also, make sure you consider something similar to this if you end up hiding all your cell phones! http://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Technologies-BTTN-Bluetooth-Gateway/dp/B0018NWQPK/ref=pd_cp_cps_1

Here is a link that might be useful: An example (although messy) of what I'm talking about.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 12:52PM
Ron Natalie

If the electrician installs a receptacle in the casework of the cabinet such that it doesn't interfere with the drawer motion, then Louisian's idea of just passing the cord over the back of the drawer (possibly through a notch cut in it) would be fine.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
CharlesInVT
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™