Requirements when bad splices are found?

simancoJune 9, 2012

Hello all,

We are in an old house.

There were old remnants of knob and tube in the basement - a few knobs were still on the floor joists, but most everything appears to be 1950s era 12-2 cable without ground. The 1950s seems logical as that's when my great-grandmother bought the place. It was probably re-wired before it was sold, or she had it done shortly thereafter.

This 1950s era wiring appears to be in good shape. Good covering, good insulation, etc.

The problem is that there was a flood in 1977 and the house got "renovated." Ha. As near as I can tell, every new grounded outlet has 12-2 w/ground Romex attached to it . . . except it is spliced into the old stuff that has no ground.

As if that's not bad enough, I've yet to find one of these splices that is inside a box. The 5 I've uncovered in the past week have all been twisted wires covered in electrical tape. (And not covered well.) And they are just hanging out in walls and floor joists.

I pushed aside some insulation in the basement in order to add a new circuit the other day and found such a splice. With bare copper peaking out from under electrical tape.

What are the requirements when I find junk like this?

Was it ever legal / right to splice things like this?

I'm guessing it's not legal to have a grounded outlet spliced into wires without ground?

Am I required to track it all down and rip it out? Certainly I am taking care of the ones I find, but ...



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

I'd certainly tell the property owner.
I'd seriously consider not working further on the job if at least any circuits involved are either fixed (or you are allowed to fix).
I don't understand why you would be required to fix everything, but I don't believe I could "FINISH" a job knowing the circuit I was working on was illegal (even if the illegal parts were preexisting).

Open splices of K&T are the way things are done but they should always be in free air not. Junctions of about any other conductors require boxes (or some other listed way of doing it). Grounded receptacles need to be grounded or protected by GFCI.

    Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 7:45AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
can homeowner so electrical work in his own home ? (above ground pool)
I live in Western ma and I'm having an Adobe ground...
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
Troubleshooting Kohler 12RES Problem
I have a Kohler 12RES generator with an RDT 100 Amp...
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
Code changes
In outlining the electrical layout for our new home,...
Sponsored Products
Brienna Chair - BONE/SILVER
$1,629.00 | Horchow
Linen Round Tufted Ottoman
$179.99 | zulily
WAC Tesla LED Single Floodlight Recessed Trim with Housing
Euro Style Lighting
Campania International Roman Cast Stone Planter - P-066-AL
$124.99 | Hayneedle
Cordoba Satin Nickel 6-Inch Wide One-Light Mini Pendant with Etched White Glass
$70.00 | Bellacor
Clairee Marble-Top Demilune Table
$1,019.00 | Horchow
Uttermost Birch Horizons 38" Round Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Yosemite Home Decor Chandeliers Vinca 4-Light Oil Rubbed Bronze Hanging
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™