Can crown molding be done for this room?

storyofmylifeDecember 22, 2012

Hi all

I'm looking for some guidance. Our house is in the final stages of construction and we are at the stage where the finish carpentry is being done. We like to put crown molding (5-1/4") in our dining room, consistent with the rest of the house. The carpenter took a look and said that doing crown would be tough because of one intersection (where the vaulted ceiling meets a flat ceiling from the hall). He recommended that we leave this room alone.

I wanted to see if anyone here can look at the photos and see if there is any way that a crown molding can be done for this room.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

I suggest posting this in the remodeling forum.

5 1/4" is big for what could be done, such as putting a break or two in the moulding so it "returns" to the wall before reaching the opening(s). But there's are aesthetic concerns with doing that, too.

I suppose you could also consider running it over the opening and finishing the hallway side somehow, but that seems like it would be kind of odd, too.

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 10:18AM
homebound

..or you modify that hallway 1/2 arch to look like either a beam or a full arch that's low enough for the crown.

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 10:26AM
storyofmylife

@Homebound - great suggestion on cross-posting in the Remodeling forum. I will do that.

I agree that 5-1/4" is too big due to the limited space between the ceiling and top of arch. The carpenter thought that something smaller would work over the arch.

Your comment about putting in a break to make it return to the wall before reaching the opening sparked some thoughts, and I'm going to explore it... Not sure how it would look, although I'm going to do search for inspiration pictures on houzz.

As a fyi - I've attached another picture that shows another view of that ceiling-wall intersection.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 11:25AM
sombreuil_mongrel

There are two obstacles;
first that the horizontal run of crown cannot be simply mitered into the raking (sloped) run of crown. That's a problem with one or two solutions, both of which have disadvantages.
Secondly, there is really very little room above the arch or at the corners for the crown. Having the crown cut across the openings to the side hall(s) would look dippy. Solution for that would be to drop a header across the hallway, which would make it look nicer (IMO) even if you didn't use crown.
Casey

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Damage on a Solid Walnut Table
I need to fix some damage from nail polish remover...
alaurenb
Pear tree wood
Is their any value in Pear tree wood? My mother has...
Pooh Bear
paint or restain moldings
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
kimkollie
Varnish cracking and brittle on table with Inlay work
The varnish or poly is looking so bad I want to redo...
bossyvossy
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Sponsored Products
Croquet Dining Arm Chair with Cushion, Patio Furniture
$905.00 | FRONTGATE
Sherpa Cat Tote Leopard Print Carrier - 56230
$57.28 | Hayneedle
Tiara Tray
| Dot & Bo
ENERGY STAR Crown Molding 53" Wide Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Vintage Trophy Base Bell Shade Home Table Lamp
ParrotUncle